Easily adjusting depth on a dry dropper rig

How long have you been fly fishing? And I mean do disrespect, I am just asking. I will gladly meet up with you on Penns or the likes this spring to fish. Share ideas, gain knowledge.

I don't think the width of a stream has ANYTHING to do with whether a dry/dropper is an effective tool or not. It has EVERYTHING to do with depth uniformity, stream features in a given stretch being fished, and how much change in fly depths really needs to be made to fish effectively. I can think of lengthy stretches of water on streams such as Kish, Penns, and Honey where dry dropper is a very suitable tool and those streams are all way larger than 8 feet.

Honey Creek has a lot of great dry dropper water. When the conditions get lower and clearer there are large areas that are relatively shallow(1-2 feet) that are uniform in bottom structure and depth without much change. The currents remain the same, the rate of sink for the flies can remain the same due to the unifrmity of the water, and these types of habitat can last for 25-100 yards easily on that stream. It is excellent dry dropper water because the fish are still there despite the skinny conditions and you can't approach them too closely without spooking them due to the clearer water.....and the stream is WAY over 8 feet wide.

So, once again, stream width has ZERO effect on whether dry/dropper makes sense or not. Every stream is different with different characteristics and a good angler adapts to that particular stream. It is not about saying, "this creek is 8 feet wide or less, I will dry dropper fish." Also, many high gradient, narrow streams are lousy dry dropper streams, in my opinion.
For shizzle. Dry Dropper is always my go to rig when I start the day. As I catch (or don't catch) fish, I adjust accordingly. It can be an affective way to figure out the waters. They are a PITA on narrow, high gradient streams though. And largely not necessary. If it's warm, put a big bushy dry on, if it's cold, put on something that sinks!

No offense taken. I’ve been fly fishing for 5-6 years. I have thrown my fair share of indicators but I just don’t enjoy it as much (I know there’s a time and place for it but I try to find ways around it!). I understand the importance of depth and can read a stream pretty well.

My question was more of a curiosity than anything. I’ve been on a real small stream and spring creek kick as of late and just don’t love indicators for those applications.

And thanks for offering to meet up! I’m not sure how much fishing I’ll get to do this spring with a little one on the way but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there
I was specifically asking Silent Ocelot. That is why I quoted his post along with my opinion of why stream width has nothing to do with whether a dry dropper presentation is an effective tool.

But hey I will meet up and fish with anyone at least once......

I was specifically asking Silent Ocelot. That is why I quoted his post along with my opinion of why stream width has nothing to do with whether a dry dropper presentation is an effective tool.

But hey I will meet up and fish with anyone at least once......
Man, guess I need more coffee this morning… That makes more sense lol

So, once again, stream width has ZERO effect on whether dry/dropper makes sense or no
I wouldn't say zero.

Most of the time I use one, it's in the situation where the stream is small (and shallow), the fish aren't picky, but they are skittish. Think mountain freestone brookie fishing in the winter when rising to a dry isn't as reliable. Or later in the year if that type of stream has browns. An indicator spooks the fish. But unspooked, they're pretty aggressive, so the nymph doesn't have to be right on the bottom or anything.

That said, there are always exceptions. Yes, I will sometimes fish dry droppers on bigger water. A situation that's occurred is during a hatch when fish are up near the surface. I might do a dun and a floating nymph or emerger dropped behind it. I've even fished dun/spinner combos. Still a dry dropper, but a fully different situation.

I wouldn't say zero.

Most of the time I use one, it's in the situation where the stream is small (and shallow), the fish aren't picky, but they are skittish. Think mountain freestone brookie fishing in the winter when rising to a dry isn't as reliable. Or later in the year if that type of stream has browns. An indicator spooks the fish. But unspooked, they're pretty aggressive, so the nymph doesn't have to be right on the bottom or anything.

That said, there are always exceptions. Yes, I will sometimes fish dry droppers on bigger water. A situation that's occurred is during a hatch when fish are up near the surface. I might do a dun and a floating nymph or emerger dropped behind it. I've even fished dun/spinner combos. Still a dry dropper, but a fully different situation.
Nah, I retain the opinion that there is no correlation to width. As you say, shallow is a key, yes, because you can't drown the dry fly (if you want it to stay a dry fly) which means you can't add too much weight, which in turn means you can't fish deep/high gradient water because your nymph won't sink in time. There are unsuitable streams that are two feet wide and I have a stream near me that is 80 feet wide and a very suitable dry/dropper stream.

Lots and lots of Spring Creek is perfect for a dry/dropper, and the majority of Spring Creek is well over 8 feet.

Depth isn't a key for me. I've run droppers as much as 4 or 5 feet below a dry, and I will add weight, if I don't care if I sink the dry sometimes.

For me the key is:

You must either think you stand a shot on the dry, or have reason to believe an indicator will spook them and thus be choosing the dry as a less intrusive indicator. Otherwise just use an indicator.

I normally drop the dropper off the hook bend of the dry. To get more depth, I usually add another fly off the dropper or re-tie the dropper w/ a longer section of tippet. So the dry is essentially always at the same position and depth is controlled by changing what gets dropped off of it.
I have a related question since I’ve only done (dry/dropper) a few times….only when all else failed. I swing wets a lot and I 99% of the time I run 1 or 2 wets off of the 4 inch tag. The other 1% I tried running 1 or 2 flies tied off of the bend of each preceding fly.

My experience (last 20 years) with flies tied off of bends is I have a greater than 50% “break off” rate over the use of tags.

Getting back to the dry dropper tied off the bend. Do you feel your wet fly gets broken off more often than it should? My only theory of why my break off rate increases is….
the line on the dropper is coming in contact with the hook point dry fly more consistently (than flies tied on as tags) and it weakens the line causing a strike to break it off.

I use the same rod for wets and dries so rod stiffness isn’t coming into play for me. Not sure if it’s just me or if others experience this too.

I have a related question since I’ve only done (dry/dropper) a few times….only when all else failed. I swing wets a lot and I 99% of the time I run 1 or 2 wets off of the 4 inch tag. The other 1% I tried running 1 or 2 flies tied off of the bend of each preceding fly.

My experience (last 20 years) with flies tied off of bends is I have a greater than 50% “break off” rate over the use of tags.

Getting back to the dry dropper tied off the bend. Do you feel your wet fly gets broken off more often than it should? My only theory of why my break off rate increases is….
the line on the dropper is coming in contact with the hook point dry fly more consistently (than flies tied on as tags) and it weakens the line causing a strike to break it off.

I use the same rod for wets and dries so rod stiffness isn’t coming into play for me. Not sure if it’s just me or if others experience this too.
I can't say I've noticed any difference in break-off rate w/ droppers. I almost always use barbless hooks, and I have noticed that I do tend to lose the entire dropper rig because it slides off the hook point. Not an issue if you're smashing barbed hooks.

I have wondered though, if a smashed barb might compromise the integrity of the tippet for a dropper tied off the hook bend as it contacts the point of the smashed barb. I've also assumed that catching or even missing a fish on the dry could be nicking the tippet for the dropper(s).

I've tried all kinds of different rigs in terms of droppers. I'm lazy so I hate tying tags. One thing I'm experimenting with currently is a loop of 5x fluro tied into the body of the dry and camouflaged by the shuck. So the tippet for the next fly is tied off the hook bend w/ a clinch knot and runs up through that hoop of 5x.

My theory with this contraption is that it keeps the dropper line from either sliding off the hook, or getting wrapped around it, or in the way of a fish eating the dry. I've seen klinkhammers tied with a tippet ring tied into the body which inspired this experiment. Disclaimer, I haven't used these flied long enough to know if they're any good. Just a fun little side project I'm messing with.

sorry for the crappy pic. You can barely make out the 5x loop with all the CDC and flash. Exhibit A:
IMG 4466 copy

I can't say I've noticed any difference in break-off rate w/ droppers. I almost always use barbless hooks, and I have noticed that I do tend to lose the entire dropper rig because it slides off the hook point. Not an issue if you're smashing barbed hooks.

I have wondered though, if a smashed barb might compromise the integrity of the tippet for a dropper tied off the hook bend as it contacts the point of the smashed barb. I've also assumed that catching or even missing a fish on the dry could be nicking the tippet for the dropper(s).

I've tried all kinds of different rigs in terms of droppers. I'm lazy so I hate tying tags. One thing I'm experimenting with currently is a loop of 5x fluro tied into the body of the dry and camouflaged by the shuck. So the tippet for the next fly is tied off the hook bend w/ a clinch knot and runs up through that hoop of 5x.

My theory with this contraption is that it keeps the dropper line from either sliding off the hook, or getting wrapped around it, or in the way of a fish eating the dry. I've seen klinkhammers tied with a tippet ring tied into the body which inspired this experiment. Disclaimer, I haven't used these flied long enough to know if they're any good. Just a fun little side project I'm messing with.

sorry for the crappy pic. You can barely make out the 5x loop with all the CDC and flash. Exhibit A:
View attachment 1641228850
Nice tie - I think!😜

View attachment 1641228850
Another simple way to keep your dropper from sliding down the hook is to zap a drop of UV goop on the upper bend of the dry fly hook to form a hump. It keeps the dropper high up on the bend by not allowing the dropper to slide past the hump. I do this to dry flies (and poppers) I often use in my dry/dropper rigs. It on takes a few seconds and works well with having to tie special flies.

Back