Earthquakes & Hurricanes. What's freakin' next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
irene.jpg

It has been a pretty crazy week already with a once in a century 5.9 magnitude earthquake jolting the east coast on Tuesday. Our new threat is with Hurricane Irene which is bearing down on us and expected to strike North Carolina within hours. Already a Cat 3, Irene is forecasted to grind away at the coastlines from North Carolina to Maine. Unfortunately, many of the most Eastern streams in the Northeastern states are already above average for this time of year. More rain and strong winds will make for some pretty challenging conditions over the weekend.

I hope everyone takes appropriate precautions and prepares for what will be a wet and windy weekend for many. Maybe this storm will take out the swarm of [d]locusts[/d] stink bugs that is due to onset us next week.

Have a good weekend. I am off to get some gas for my generator!

DaveKile
I have been seeing about three a day now. Sadly I fear it will only get worse over the next few weeks. It motivated me to clean up my garage and put everything into closed up plastic boxes.

Last edited:
DaveKile
I have been seeing about three a day now. Sadly I fear it will only get worse over the next few weeks. It motivated me to clean up my garage and put everything into closed up plastic boxes.

Last edited:
salmo
Earthquakes, hurricanes - I swear I saw a cloud of locusts and a plague of frogs.

Salmo

Last edited:
salmo
Earthquakes, hurricanes - I swear I saw a cloud of locusts and a plague of frogs.

Salmo

Last edited:
salmo

Salmo

Last edited:
Maurice
I wonder if the people who voted yes could expand on their yes vote why they feel that way?

Last edited:
bprush
Paylakers and bait fisherman in hiding.

Last edited:
M
I am fascinated by the apparent binary nature of the issue as reflected in the poll question and possible responses. A participant is assumed to be either for or against without any suggestion of a fall-back position if things don't go fully one of two ways. I am especially intrigued since the proposal is comprised of four sub-parts: bait fishing for children anytime; bait fishing for all during the 3 mo harvest period; moving the beginning of the harvest date forward; and a reduction of the minimum size limit from 9 inches to 7 inches. By taking an all or nothing position without a hint of a fall-back position there is no guidance being given with respect to which of four sub-parts for opponents would be the least distasteful one or ones, and for proponents which would be the most favorable, leaving any possible compromise(s), if one or more are considered in this debate, fully in the hands of others.

Last edited:
salmo
Hopefully the new governor will change the composition of the commission.

Last edited:
Maurice
@ Mike... Then perhaps King John shouldn't have gone for the whole loaf in the language of the proposal?

Last edited:
DaveKile
Like many state agencies, I understand the PFBC is trying to do more with less. Also the Commission is trying to respond to a wide range of audiences.

This proposed rule making increases angling opportunity for one audience and removes opportunities for another.

Earlier harvest, increasing the mortality rates and crowding the stream is a pretty clear message.

The audience that appreciates what DHALO streams have to offer are not your typical anglers. I think they are asking for conditions based on how they enjoy the sport. They have a unique appreciation and interest for angling opportunities that an extended season for very strong justifiable reasons.

Eleven years ago the Commissioners voted against these kinds of suggested changes, it is terribly disappointing to see them now be the ones suggesting the change. I would expect the PFBC to be the ones supporting this audience of anglers. The proposed rule changes are quite the contrary.

Pennsylvania contains over 85,000 miles of streams and rivers. Approximately 735 of the waterways are stocked. Opportunity can be added for certain audiences, but doesn’t need to come at the expense of others.

Last edited:
C
A quote from my letter to the Pafbc Executive Director, Commissioners, and State Elected Officials:

"Changing existing regulations, Promoting harvest of the costly fish, Providing fewer stocked trout to the streams of the state, and lowering of fishing licenses 1$ does little to give me confidence the current Executive Director, Commissioners and Staff know what they are doing."

A letter to the New Governor may be in the works also.

Last edited:
JackM
Allowing children to fish bait in DHALO-- No.
Allowing bait during harvest period-- No.
Moving the harvest commencement up to an earlier date-- No.
Reducing the harvest size-- No.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back