Early Spring Brookies

raftman

raftman

IMG_0607-01_zpsojlbom7l.jpeg

One of the great joys of fishing small brook trout water is that it forces me to focus on what's right in front of me. Too often I get ahead of myself and pass over great water or fish it too quickly just to get to the next hole or riffle. With small freestone streams, every little slice of water and pool may hold a beautiful brookie. Water has the power to shape us; much like it has shaped our physical world, it can shape our emotional one as well. Sometimes, most times, I find myself too busy anticipating the future or what's next to enjoy the single moment before me. Brook trout, and the water they inhabit, push me to practice being in the now, of being completely in the present.

IMG_0644-01_zpsofvnrny8.jpeg

Spring in south central PA. The waters are slowly warming up, the soil is sprouting, and bugs are beginning to hover over the water as the mid-day sun passes by. The rays reach into the ravines that traverse the Susquehanna watershed. The mixture of solid, water, and spring melt creates a ferruginous, milky stream bottom.

IMG_20160327_084938_zps1uxdnzwu.jpg

One of the nicest brook trout I have ever had the pleasure of running into. A perfect specimen of the species. A flagship for their brand of rootedness and subtle beauty. The many colors and hues are only found in something that is true to its self and its place.

IMG_0624-01_zpsja1ystct.jpeg

It was a day of losing count, of traversing a rhododendron ravine, moving up from one plunge pool to the next. They were keyed in on my hear's ear, a fly that has worked on countless number of trout and types of water. If I could only have five flies to fish, the hare's ear would be one of them.

IMG_0636-02_zps3sol8iuk.jpeg

The patterns on native brook trout are beautiful. The blue halos surrounding the red spots, the curved lines flowing down from their back like tributaries reaching an ocean, all mark a species that is native to a place, that is of a slice of water coursing through a freestone valley created long before us by glaciers, springs, and rain.

Great pics and sentiments as well!

Beautiful pictures. I've been out chasing some brookies myself.

Spectacular pictures and well written piece. This post reminds me of Squaretails old photo narratives. Not too many folks can can capture the feeling of being outdoors chasing Natives, on a forum page, but you succeeded!!!

That was a refreshing account of our state fish. Thanks for sharing your pics and your thoughts.

Beautiful. I just spent 3 days in Shenandoah National Park Brookie fishing. Hard to beat the solitude Brookie fishing brings.

Ah, thanks for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.

Thanks raftman ! Wonderful post.

Hard to beat an early spring day fishing for brookies!

Attachments

• brookie pic resized.jpg
    brookie pic resized.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 4
Beautiful photos and very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing, raftman.

Thanks for reading guys!

As always, great read. Looks like you had a successful weekend as well.

I will never forget the first time I saw a native brookie caught in a small stream in the mountains. They are like jewels. Your post reminded me of that day.

As always, great read.

Thanks Steveo! I really want to make it out your way and fish with ya sometime... we could do some collaborate blog posts :)

Awesome post and nice fish!

Nice day.

Back