Early August Centre County

salmo

salmo

I will be in Centre County first weekend in August. Can anybody suggest some small streams to fish? Any streams that run into Spring Creek worth fishing that time of the year? PM if you prefer.

PM incoming

Does Spring Creek get too warm? I'm going to be attending an event on the Penn State campus over the last weekend of July. My fishing time will be limited to an hour or two, at best, each day. Spring and Slab Cabin looked like my best two options.

5x9, both streams you mentioned are good options for the amount of time you have. Terrestrials should work well. I'd offer to meet up but I won't be around that weekend.

Spring does get too warm in certain sections during the summer months. But considering the current water levels and the 10 day forecast its unlikely it will be too warm.
During periods of prolonged heat the warmest section of the stream, by quite a few degrees, is the benner springs hatchery area (shiloh road). That's too bad because it tends to be very popular. I've recorded temps near 75 on multiple occasions.
The nextwarmest after that is fisherman's paradise, followed by rock road/houserville area (upper portion). The area below logan branch (downstream of the park in bellefonte) never gets above 65 degrees and rarely breaks 62 degrees.
Even though a trib, which leads some to automatically think cooler, Slab cabin and thompson run does get warm too. Check the temps if the weather is in the high 80s/90s.

oh, given the short time-missed that in your message. Don't be afraid to try just upstream of Spring creek park. It's 5 minutes from campus. It takes about two hours to cover that section (between the rt26 bridge and the park). The fish tend to be smaller, but plentiful. Not saying you wont hook good size fish. I've taken fish out between 12- 15 inches before. You can park in pull offs on houserville rd near the intersection of houserville rd and rt 26 (a sheetz is at the intersection). That section and most of the stream near state college is best fished with a 7-8 ft rod.
Fishing this time of year is best between 4:30-8AM or near dark. with this in mind you might have more than 2 hrs! If you must fish in the late AM or afternoons, most of the quality fish will be under the overhanging bushes tight to the bank. They tend not to come out for surface flies, but wet ants and nymphs drifted under the cover will do it.

Back