EAGLES

Seafood,

If you are a fan of seafood you should be glad you live in Philly, home of the most and best restaurants (maybe not New York) in the country. The diversity of culture in Philly may have you a little uncomfortable and feeling a bit out of your element but that doesn't mean you have to hate on the great city.

Not only that. Cleveland's football team has the same name as the color of poop. Now you got me started.

Anybody like College Football? I do. But what about those Buckeyes. They are named after a worthless nut. Not only that. When one of them actually does their job well, they get a little star to wear on their helmets, just like preschool. these are supposed to be young adults! You gotta wonder where they are recruiting from. I’m not a Penn State fan, but you gotta love their uniforms. Still, I may someday root for the worthless nuts if they can keep a relatively clean arrest record for a couple years. Naaa.

It is not just football either. Cleveland Cavaliers? Named after a bunch of guys who wore tights? No wonder they were so bad for so long. They will win a championship as soon as wearing tights is fashionable again, which at the rate things are going, could be next year?

Have I missed any?

OK, we really can’t blame the Football team for their lack of production. Look at what happened right after the moved to Baltimore. They won a Superbowl. Must have been the coach, right? Don’t think so. He coaches New England to their first, and second, ... What’s left? Cleveland itself? That’s gotta make you go “hmmm”.
:p

p.S. This is all in fun, especially the last part. In my opinion, Cleveland is simply Pittsburgh North. :lol:

MattM wrote:
Seafood,

If you are a fan of seafood you should be glad you live in Philly, home of the most and best restaurants (maybe not New York) in the country. The diversity of culture in Philly may have you a little uncomfortable and feeling a bit out of your element but that doesn't mean you have to hate on the great city.

Uncomfortable and Philly diversity???? Oh man, do I have a few Philly stories for you!!! Unfortunately not appropriate here ... or fortunately, depending on how you look at it. Still, I don't hate Philadelphia for it, just Philadelphians. :p

Certainly didnt mean to offend anyone...just sharing my opinion.

Want to field test it? Go to an Eagles game in a Steelers jersey then go to a Steelers game in an Eagles jersey. The proof is in the pudding.

As for the argument of culture and diversity...you all havent been to the burgh lately have you? Major economic development and community revitalilzation happening. Fortune 500 companies are flocking to the city to be headquartered there. State of the art Convention Center on the water. Incredible theatre district. The entire cities public works vehicles are going biodiesel. They have a young energetic mayor that actually knows what he is doing and cares for the people. (he also happens to have a clean record) They are ahead of there time. Historic building preservationists are studying and looking at what architecture firms are doing with street fronts and historic buildings.

Philly...simply has an inferiority complex and cant find an identity stuck in between Boston/NY and Baltimore/DC.

Again, just speaking from my experiences on both ends of the state.

Want to field test it? Go to an Eagles game in a Steelers jersey then go to a Steelers game in an Eagles jersey. The proof is in the pudding.

Exactly. Took my son to a game to see the opposing team play. People all around me "Eagle fans" didn't seem to mind the kind of language they were using "screaming" in front of an 8 year old, or even to him because he had his favorite teams jersey on (which wasn't an Eagles jersey). Things I'd even be embarassed to say to a raunchy co-worker at that. We left before half time. Never again. Never again. The fans are rude, immature and offensive. Bottom line. Don't even try to argue with me on it. I witnessed it first hand. Unfortunately so did my 8 year old. I'm still pissed about it.

Ok, this will be my last post on this thread...I know it is a fly fishing board but it is fun to open it up sometimes.

Spectorfly,

I have experienced the same thing in Philly. While I dont think this is a Philadelphia only "situation" I truly believe they are the worst. I have been in 6 NFL stadiums. Philly is hands down the worst...anywhere you go in the stadium. My dad and I were given tickets to a game last year and I could not beleive the conversation (primarily about women) and language (directed at opposing fans) I heard.

Baltimore is pretty bad as well.

I went to my annual Steelers game this year with the intent of trying to pay attention to this kind of behavior. In the surrounding 4 sections there were many browns fans with jerseys on and no one was directing anything derogatory at them. Now, I will admit that after the game in the parking lot, some Steelers fans were having fun with the opposition but nothing like what I have heard in Phila.

Sorry your son had to hear that stuff. Its pretty messed up that people act like that.

OK, back to fishing

Seafood wrote:
As for the argument of culture and diversity...you all havent been to the burgh lately have you? Major economic development and community revitalilzation happening. Fortune 500 companies are flocking to the city to be headquartered there. State of the art Convention Center on the water. Incredible theatre district. The entire cities public works vehicles are going biodiesel. They have a young energetic mayor that actually knows what he is doing and cares for the people. (he also happens to have a clean record) They are ahead of there time. Historic building preservationists are studying and looking at what architecture firms are doing with street fronts and historic buildings.

Hmmmm. I didn't think that was the kind of diversity he was talking about when he said cultural diversity. I think it was more like the diversity you find in Shadyside Pittsburgh if you know what i mean.

These last couple response remind me of something that happend right after the bottle throwing incident at a Brown's game a few years ago. A lady at work said to me that she was really surprised about it and that she would expect that in places like New York of Detroit, but not Cleveland. I responded that i had news for her, only people from Cleveland feel that way. Feel free to read betwen the lines on that.

For the record, i was only joking around before. I don't dislike Philly any more than Pittsburgh or even Cleveland. ;-) I've traveled quite a bit in the past, and have even lived in or near all three of them, and I would have to say that Philly is the best of the three to visit. But I wouldn't want to live in any of them. But then, I feel Chicago is a great city to visit too. Great restaurants and entertainment in all of them, really. I just think that in general, people suck. :lol:

Back