Eagles vs herons

Better cover on streams would help immensely to reduce the number of herons and eagles along small streams.

i'm going to guess herons are not as big a problem as cormorants or 'hell bats' as they are known.

as they can swim under water, they will clean out a river or pond then move on.

of course, they shouldn't even be here but from being a blue water bird species (mid-ocean) the widespread raping of our sandeel and menhaden stocks drives them inshore in increasing numbers.

unfortunately, they are also federally protected due to their declining global numbers....

Opening a hunting season on blue heron would be a tough sell. Same with the cormorants. Once a species is protected, it is hard to get them unprotected. But I agree they are getting quite plentiful. Cormorants are a big problem on the great lakes as well as some inland lakes. I see quite a few on Pymatuning. On the other hand, the fish are quite plentiful there, too. They aren't hurting the fish population. They just kill a few trees.

I don't see a big issue with having a hunting season on blue herons or cormorants. They taste similar to bald eagle. ;-) Afterall, I think Sandhill craned are considered game animals in some places, and I don't think they are nearly as plentiful. I saw a hunting show many years ago where they were hunting sandhill cranes and I said tomyself ... WTF! But apparently it was legal in that state. We have a few of those around here each year. Cool animal.

Every year I seem to have a resident blue heron and some years one on each pond. I don't care. Mostly I see them eating frogs and tadpoles. I'm sure they take quite a few fish as well, but I have no shortage. I also see quite a few green heron around. Apparently there is a rookery nearby. I haven't seen it though. I leave them alone, too. However, I have been known to chase of the mergansers. I'd shoot them if not for my understanding they are not good eating.

If anything, I have too many fish and they need some thinning anyway. That is why I quite killing snapping turtles too unless I see them in the yard or pasture. I'd imagine they could put a real hurt on a 40 lb dog and my one dog is stupid enough to attack one. Frankly I don't want them near the cattle either although injury to those is much less likely. The pond is fenced off from the pasture and the pasture is like the demilitarized zone between the pond and the yard. If a critter enters that, I consider them fair game.;-)

Back