Eagle Claw Featherlight FL 300 fiberglass Fly Rod, 6 ft. 6 in.

DGC

DGC

This is a tip whippy, limp noodle of a 2-piece glass rod. It loads so easily that the most drastic easing and slowing of a casting stroke imaginable must be made. It casts easily to 15 to 20 ft. After that, the rod simply does not load well and achieving accuracy and distance is laborious. The butt section is not very flexible as you might expect in a reputedly parabolic action rod. I used a 4 wt DT floating line on a 4.5 ounce reel.

Best use is for small fish in ponds or streams that have some openness for basic casting. Tighter conditions requiring bow and arrow casts, tight loops or punching a loop through a narrow window will frustrate the angler using this rod.

As it happens I know a few brook trout streams with good numbers of fish, yet the casting conditions are not all that difficult. I like this rod in those since even a 4 or 5 inch char puts a bend in the rod and you feel the struggle. That is not to say you can't play them quickly to avoid stress.

Available at many online sites. I paid under $15 for mine including shipping via FedEX from a gun dealer --TGSCOM. They don't have the best reputation as far as service goes, but my experience was fine. At the price I had little to risk.

All in all, a niche item and a curiosity more than a fishing tool to fill your short rod "need."

For the life of me, and I can't figure it out, I'm drawn to wee little noodly rods. I'm not sure why, but I want one in the worst way.

Of course, I noticed this weekend, when I pick one up and the cork grip disappears in my hand that the people around me start to laugh.

i do love glass,the cheaper the better,haha.

if you look around you can find some of those eagle claws of older stock,with the metal reel seat instead of the newer plastic one.they made it with the older reelseat upuntil recently.

for the money,why not own one?

I didn't realize this was a 5wt rod 'til I looked it up...and at $17, you're right, its hard to pass one up as a joke.

Still won't fulfill my desire for a real lightweight, like a 1 or a 2. A rod so light I'm not sure what I'd do with it, other than that I just want one, period. Maybe I'll buy one of those Cabela's 3 Forks 3wts, finally.

gfen wrote:
Maybe I'll buy one of those Cabela's 3 Forks 3wts, finally.

Geez - you should have said something on Sunday. Mine was in my truck, and you're welcome to borrow it for a few days to see if it is what you want. Knowing what you already own, it won't be too much different from your 4wt - but obviously not as nice.

gfen - any rod shorter than a ten footer looks like you're holding a twig. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
what you want. Knowing what you already own, it won't be too much different from your 4wt - but obviously not as nice.

"I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!"

Yeah, that's what's kept me from pulling the trigger, I think. On one hand, its only $50, and the other is that its only 6" and one weight smaller than the 4.

The primary reason I'd buy one is its a budget buy on a smaller rod, and damnit, I want one. Again, I have no real valid reason to want, or need, a real light weight job (like a 6.5" 2wt), but...It just appeals to me.

Or a 1wt, but even I know when I'm being fantastic.

...or a 6'9" 3wt cane rod on clearance from Cabela's.

Man, sometimes I just can't help myself. Paired it with a Cortland 444 Sylk DT, now hopefully I can get out tomorrow and try it out a bit.

gfen wrote:
...or a 6'9" 3wt cane rod on clearance from Cabela's.

Man, sometimes I just can't help myself. Paired it with a Cortland 444 Sylk DT, now hopefully I can get out tomorrow and try it out a bit.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

gfen - any rod shorter than a ten footer looks like you're holding a twig. ;-)

265.gif

Heritage-Angler wrote:
265.gif

At least I'm literally holding a twig this time out.

Unfortunatly, they're calling for thunderstorms all day tomorrow...meaning I don't think I'm going to have a change to inaugerate it with a LL trout.

Digging this one up from the past... I just got a 6'6" yellow rod from Eagle Claw (4/5 wt) upon seeing Sasquatch's purchase. I think the new rods are supposed to have some graphite in them to firm them up a little. I bought this rod for small brookie streams and can't wait to take it for a test drive. I won't have a lot of money invested in the setup, so it'll be neat to see how it performs....

Geo you are correct, they have a little graphite in them. Its a great improvement. Also, they're back to the wooden reel seat instead of the plastic they were using for a bit. I took mine to Valley and had a great time w/ it.

I'm glad they updated the latest version for you guys. Mine is in a corner and that is where it will stay unless the fiberglass antenna on my 90's minivan gets busted.

I think Keith S has one of the old ones. He said mine had a little more weight and was definitely more firm than his (that's what she said?)

Geo, what reel did you put on this rod?

I still need to get a reel for it. I don't want to go modern as I think an old Pflueger or the like would really look great on it. It's kind of got that "old school" feel to it and I want to go with that. It's an incredibly "whippy" rod and I can't wait to get some pullage with it.

You said lining it with 5WF line was the way to go, right?

I have a 7" 5/6. It's probably 20 years old. Metal reel seat. It's a nice rod for panfish. I'm using it with a 5 weight. Squatch's newer model does feel slightly heavier and seemed to flex a little less in the mid section. I won't part with mine.

Yeah 5wt is the line I have on mine, but try a DT line if you have one (if not, 5wf is fine too).

I have no line yet... Does the DT work well with the amount of flex in the rod? Does a WF "load" the rod too much?

Interesting article: http://midcurrent.com/experts/why-fish-double-taper-fly-lines/

Yeah a lot of glass guys like DT on glass. I actually tried DT on mine because of the review of the rod on the Fiberglass Manifesto.

I've been using a WF5 all along on the 7" 5/6 wt. It works well.

I would say too, Geo, that an old reel won't just look good on the rod, it will balance it better as well. There's a reason why glass guys use the old click pawl reels. Apart from looking very cool and vintage, they really do balance the glass out.

Back