"Dumb" stocking

J

JeffP

On my way to Middle Creek I noticed 11 cars along Lincoln Road at Hammer Creek. That water had to be boiling the last couple days. I guess Lititz Sportsman must have stocked a bunch. Why??

Last edited:
On my way to Middle Creek I noticed 11 cars along Lincoln Road. That water had to be boiling the last couple days. I guess Lititz Sportsman must have stocked a bunch. Why??
Learned social behavior.

somehow the 12” tank of a fall fish that leaps multiple times when hooked and takes nymphs, streamers, wet flies, or trout magnets and will fight harder than the mush muscle 8” hatchery trout does not represent “opportunity” to those folks.

Starts at birth in Pennsylvania

Yes, learned behavior, doing what someone before you did and thinking it's right cause they told you it's right never questioning or thinking for yourself, even in older age. Fallfish have become one of my favorites, got this one yesterday on a dead drifted black bugger in a deep fast run. One of the bigger one's I've ever caught, had a really fat head. Find that I catch the bigger one's this way, get smaller one's when the bugger is swinging.
20220604 093057

They fight so hard. You can fish for them with almost any technique you want. Their everywhere. And when you fish for them you get surprised with all kinds of other species.

Yet some people swear up and down that without stocked trout the next generation will abandon fishing and conservation when in reality kids can go after these things any day if the year they want instead of the artificial stocked trout fishery thats gone in 2weeks to a month.

So many other species for all of us besides hatchery fish. I can’t wait to take channel cats on comparaduns this summer during the white fly hatch this summer. I love fishing for chain pickerel in streams with a white game changer. I find wet fly fishing very relaxing and pleasurable and Red breast sunfish are gorgeous, fight hard, and provide tons if action.

Smallmouth bass everywhere too

Or you could go after snakeheads, blues and flatheads and drive your catch to a food bank/shelter. No shortage of opportunity like you pointed out for those who can recognize it.

I’m not sure if this is still relevant, but I think the derby/tourney for disabled folks that Lititz hosted was traditionally in June. People might be trying to take the remainders.

Water temps last Friday below Lincoln were 65* at mid day not sure were they ended up.

Also someone got tired of putting their bait into the overhanging branch that provided cover for the trout so they cut it off and in the process totally changed where the fish hold. I'm sure they think they did a good thing.

Attachments

• 20220617_103756.jpg
    20220617_103756.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 41
Back