Dumb new guy question

B

billm67

Ok...so now I am excited about fishing....I got my 2012 license today....but it looks like the extended season closes the end of Feb? If this correct? Does this mean no fishing or no having trout in your posession?

You may fish special regulation sections all year round but can have NO trout in your possession during closed seasons.

No such thing a s a dumb question.

Just Sayin'

Dave, words to live by!

Well, you can fish far more than just special regulation waters during the "closed" season. Basically all you CAN'T fish is approved trout waters (and areas downstream). ATW's means stocked.

The vast majority of class A's are NOT ATW's nor downstream of them. Most wild trout streams, class A or not really, remain open to fishing. Just go to the fish commission site and verify the stream you are considering is not an ATW.

On a catch and release basis, of course. No trout may be had in possession anywhere.

One way to harvest trout in March is:

EARLY SEASON TROUT-STOCKED WATERS PROGRAM

During the month of March, when most trout-stocked waters are closed to fishing, anglers may fish select lakes and the Youghiogheny River and Shenango River tailwaters, which are stocked early with a portion of the spring’s trout allotment.

The following regulations apply: Open season – March 1 through March 31 (no fishing from April 1 to 8 a.m. on the opening day of the trout season)
Minimum size – 7 inches
Creel limit – 3 trout (combined species)
Inland regulations apply to all other species
A current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit) is required to fish on select lakes if an angler intends to harvest trout.

I'm not so interested in Harvesting Trout...I just would like to get out and fish a little bit. I am starting to get Cabin Fever and this warming weather has me thinking spring!

billm67 wrote:
I'm not so interested in Harvesting Trout...I just would like to get out and fish a little bit. I am starting to get Cabin Fever and this warming weather has me thinking spring!

Bill, get out man! Save yourself, that cabin fever stuff is nasty.

Yeah side effects of Cabin fever include

spending too much time on paflyfish
compulsive purchases of fly fishing equipment, even if you can't afford it
wasting time at work thinking about fly fishing, watching youtube videos of fly fishing, and searching for guides in places that are way too expensive to fly fish
then there's the itch
and even the word "grannoms" sends you into a seizure like state that makes people call 911

That's just the beginning...

Take two wild trout on the dry fly of your choice and call me in the morning!

And another thing, listen to Dave, there are no dumb questions. Some of these guys may give you a hard time but I have yet to meet one who will not help you! After all, we have this passion in common, so we've all been there even if they say they weren't!

I really appreciate this forum already. My dad fly fished when I was a kid and he used to take me...but he passed away when I was a kid. About 10 or 12 years ago I wanted to learn how to fly fish. I took classes on fly tying....but I could never catch fish. I need to learn how to approach the fish and how to present the fly to a fish in order to catch some fish. After a while on not catching any fish...my interest fell off. Having a couple of local guys offering to go out with me...as they have here will make a huge difference.

I think you have some great PAFF resources out your way and I look forward to your "First Trout" post.

Go man, go!

Agree with Fox I KNOW someone here will take you under there wing and fuel the addiction........err passion for you. Many of us have started here with a similar post to yours. Congrats on taking the first step. There is so much to learn enjoy the journey and smell the flowers along the way!

Just wait till one of the good people here takes you under their wing.

"Stand down there on that rock and cast the seam over there"

Then you listen to "ooh, ooh" with every twitch of the indicator as you work the hole. And try keeping the smile off your face as you realize they are excited as you are to have that first fish on the line.

Really good people here. And you can learn from even the arguments. Just look to the points being made before the crap takes over.

Dave

Oh, crap! Did I just admit to being spoon-fed? Well damn, it tasted good and I think the second one was a little bit on my own......

Back