Dubbing question......

Rolf

Rolf

When dubbing, when would you use a dropped loop technique or split thread/noodle twist/or pre-spun brush instead of simply adding it to the thread with your fingers? What is the advantage of doing it this way?

Thanks,
Rolf

I use the loop my go with flies I know will catch lots of fish (I.e. Shenk's minnow). Durability is enhanced in subsurface patterns. As for dries, traditional hackle gets beat up before the body of the fly. Compara-duns or sparkle emergers benefit from the loop methods too. Good Luck out there!

Depends on the look you're trying to achieve.

For example, if you're trying to tie slender dry fly abdomens, a dubbing loop is a poor choice. Tightly twisted dubbing applied by hand is the way to go.

If you're looking for a "shaggy" look, then a dubbing loop or touch dubbing works well. A collar on a nymph pattern is a good example. The Shenk's minnow example given by JG is another one that I'd never attempt to tie without a loop.

Some dubbings work better with different methods, too. YMMV...

I use the dubbing loops when I'm looking for a flattened profile. For me that means a cress bug and Shenk's white minnow.

Thank you folks. Great explanation and that explains it perfectly. Now I just have to learn how to do it. Thank goodness for the videos from Hans W.

Agreed on hans weilenmann videos. He splits 12/0 for his dubbing brush. Ive learned alot from his videos.

All good advice. I just happen to be tying Isonychias tonight using the dubbing loop method. I use this for March Browns and Iso nymphs. Poul Jorgenson employed the dubbing loop method in his nymphs to create a flat, segmented effect and it works well as does his blend recipes. Dave Rothrock has a method called overdubbing which I've never been able to master which works well to.

For me, this tool is invaluable and highly recommended.

Attachments

• twister.jpg
    twister.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 5
  • Iso.jpg
    Iso.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
Nice looking ISO there.

GenCon

whoops

Thanks GenCon. That is a conglomerate of three different tyers patterns combined into one bug that has been pretty effective for me. The blend is a Poul Jorgenson recipe. The overback is a Don Bastian pattern, and the thorax, wingcase and legs are Ol' Lefty's pattern. The only credit I take is for catching fish on them when other tried and true patterns fail:pint:

Festus, your taking credit is well deserved. It's all about duping trout.

Dave R.

Don't limit yourself to just twisted bodies. Dynamite and highly effective nymph thorax's can be made using the dubbed loop method as well!

Attachments

• Img_3323.jpg
    Img_3323.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Img_3324.jpg
    Img_3324.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Img_3325.jpg
    Img_3325.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 5
Aw he11. One to many I reckon:pint:

Attachments

• Img_3327a.jpg
    Img_3327a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5
Festus,

You tie mighty fine flies. I still have one pack left of Jorgenson's Iso nymph dubbing. IMHO, dead on.

Thanks Outsider. I to have a pack or two of Pouls dubbing left, but can't bring myself to using it. It's like an old friend. Fortunately I was lucky enough to secure a lifetime supply of baby seal back when it was still legal to sell and purchase, and that is what I use for Pouls nymph recipes.

Festus,

I bought my share of materials while it was still legal to purchase them. Sometimes I feel a little paranoid about mentioning them. I have 2 full copper pheasant skins, the best legging material for nymphs. Paid $1,75 per skin. I'll give up the feet and beaks for a reasonable price.

I'm not paranoid. I still have the receipts:)

Rolf, if you haven't seen this it's worth a look.

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/thread/4046

lv2nymph wrote:
Rolf, if you haven't seen this it's worth a look.

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/thread/4046

Thanks! What a great link, I appreciate it.

Back