Dubbing Brushes

T

tctrout

I've been playing around with dubbing brushes, including even making my own. Aside from the EP Brushes, are there any others out there being used on a regular basis that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Tim

I just use an old gun cleaning wire brush. I love it! It's one of my most reached for fly tying tools. I tie a lot of nymphs and terrestrials and a couple strokes with the brush really brings out the buggyness.

I use this

yhst-17105658520519_2272_1574218991

the Hareline Brush. I like it. I got it at last year's show in Somerset. Forget what I paid but it was less than $5.

Edit: The Caddis Fly shop sells it for $3.55.

Ultimate Dubbin Brush for Fly Tying

Pretty sure TC is referring to a fiber dubbing brush. They have a wire core that holds whatever the materials are. Same concept as spinning dubbing into a loop but the core is wire and the materials in the brush are longer fibers - usually synthetic materials. I'd post a picture but...

TC - haven't tried any but they look like a great material for streamer bodies. Lots of different options with them. Do you have a set up with a tool like a drill that you're spinning the wire with to trap the fibers?

McSneek I believe you are correct in what TC is after.

Otherwise I will add I use a gun cleaning brush I had laying around to help brush out dubbing.

My buddy has a setup to make his own. Made a few for the first time last week. Still haven't tied with them. I used craft fur, SF fiber and some flash my buddy had. I was happy with how they came out.

Check out flyfishfood.com-there's a good video on spinning your own.

You're correct; I'm looking for a material that has a core to be tied on to create very buggy bodies quickly. I have a couple different setups for creating them myself (Stonfo tool, Norvise tool, etc.), and love the EP Dubbing Brushes, but wanted to see if there were others out there that were being sold.

Thanks ahead of time if anyone knows of some others!

Tim

McSneek wrote:
Pretty sure TC is referring to a fiber dubbing brush. They have a wire core that holds whatever the materials are. Same concept as spinning dubbing into a loop but the core is wire and the materials in the brush are longer fibers - usually synthetic materials. I'd post a picture but...

TC - haven't tried any but they look like a great material for streamer bodies. Lots of different options with them. Do you have a set up with a tool like a drill that you're spinning the wire with to trap the fibers?

I glued a small piece of the rough half of Velcro (the hooks?) onto a popsicle stick.

Insta-brush. Costs less than free because it was all garbage.

Can't remember where I saw the video, but I think I saw a guy putting peacock and flash etc in the brush. When clipped to shape it looked really cool. I am going to try this too, even started a jig made from scrap wood. Eye hook on one end and set up my cordless drill on the other with an open hook.

I think the Steve Farrar blend would make a killer brush.

Here is Fly Fish Food's Dubbing Brush Table 2.0

Fly Fish Food Dubbing Brush table

Teh_Fly

Tc,
I make my dubbing brushes with the stonfo tool as well. I use utc wire and antron dubbing to make some sweet caddis pupas. I have almost every ep brush they make..every color etc for all of my streamers. They work great.

a simple dubbing loop works for me

jan siman sells all kind of pre made dubbing brushes

http://shop.siman.cz/

Back