DSLR Camera Bag

DaveS

DaveS

I am in the market for a camera bag for a Digital SLR. Does any one have one that they'd recommend?

Mods, I understand this isn't exclusive flyfishing equipment, but certainly related.

Since I'm a semi-professional photographer, this is something I've had to deal with for years. There are a good number of "waterproof" bags out there, but some are definitely better than others. Here is the one I am currently using https://umpqua.com/products/packs-and-bags/packs-bags/tongass-650-waterproof-waist-pack

Sage also makes a really nice one (get the large size) http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-fishing-luggage/large-waist-pack/

The only issues I had with the Sage is the zipper. It is submersible, I've tested that on several occasions ;) But it is hard to close, and you will rip off the string zipper pull. I've had three of these bags, and it usually takes about a week. I just replaced them with a key ring, but it still can be hard to close. It is the last "pull" to get it over the gasket.

That being said, it is hard to beat a roll-top for being water tight, hence going to the Umpqua bag. One big thing to check out if you don't go with one of the two above, is to make sure the belt is fully attached to the bag and has straps on the sides to tighten it up. I had a Simms bag years ago that the belt basically just slid through the bag and it "rolled" on you all day. Both the bags i listed above will allow you to tighten the bag high on your waist and save your back. Carrying an SLR and maybe an extra lens, plus some fly boxes all day will kill your back if the bag doesn't fit tight.

They both also come with shoulder straps that allow you to take some of the weight off your back, especially when hiking and climbing mountains. Nothing like trying to climb and having 10lbs on your hips pulling you backwards. The strap allows you to put all the weight across your shoulder and chest.

And I assumed you were talking about bags to use stream side....if not, that is a whole other ball game ;)

Sagebrush is tops
Patagonia is 2nd

Both have padded inserts available and use TZIP which is THE best waterproof zipper... the reason some zippers are hard to close is that they are not properly lubricated (all TZIPs come with a tube of it)

the submersible compartment on the Sage is too small for a DSLR and lens (even the large)

Roll tops are just a big funnel for rain. and they are all-or-nothing, no ability to just partly open the bag. they are deceptive in making you think you can fit more than you should, in turn compromising the bag by lessing the amount of rolls you can do

Since I've been doing it for years, I'm going to have to disagree....Not only does the Sage bag (large) fit my Canon 5DMiii, but I can also get my 70-200mm zoom lens in there.

I actually hadn't considered a waterproof bag. I was just thinking, "Hey honey, why not grab your camera an go take some photos... I'll just take this old fishing pole and stay out of your way!"

But I'll definitely check out the w/p.

I've had both versions of the sage bag (green and blue)
None of my camera bodies with a lens attached would fit
Lens removed from the body... Sure... But that's not an acceptable solution

The larger front splash proof pocket will take a DSLR
But not the narrow rear submersible pocket

For a non fishing camera bag.... There are endless options
A lot depends on how much you realistically want to carry

This is where my ignorance gets in the way of making a good decision. I was thinking camera body, lens or three, ( nothing huge). A charger, and maybe someplace to lash a tripod? What am I overlooking?

? got me, mine fits just fine with the lens on. I agree, carrying your camera with the lens off is not an option. ALWAYS carry it in the submersible pocket. Getting 5k worth of camera gear wet is not something I'd want to do.

Dave - If you want to carry a body and 3 lenses, tripod, etc... you better go backpack. Like Rollingdog said.......endless options. I currently have a Mountainsmith backpack that fits the bill, but it is not waterproof. The Umpqua bag is larger than the Sage, but 3 lenses would be pushing it. Plus that is a lot of heavy gear on your waist. I'd look for backpacks.

If I'm doing some serious filming, I go the backpack route, but otherwise I stick with the hippack. I've found if I have to dig the camera out of a backpack, I don't shoot as many photos. Just easier to spin a hip pack around and grab the camera vs taking off a backpack. Especially if you are standing in the water.

what about the smith fly digi-pouch?

This is where my ignorance gets in the way of making a good decision. I was thinking camera body, lens or three, ( nothing huge). A charger, and maybe someplace to lash a tripod? What am I overlooking?

I've been using the Lowepro Photosport 200 for a couple years now, works great for me for what you've described; fishing, skiing, hiking & some mountain biking. Room for a body & lens in the padded compartment, plus another lens and/or flash, tripod straps to the side, plus room for fishing gear, lunch, a jacket, etc in the top of the bag. Camera access is thru the side so you can swing it around for access without having to completely drop the bag. Has a built in rain cover, but it's not really waterproof otherwise. There's a new version out, so good deals to be found for the original model...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=768092&gclid=CMD1t_vbtssCFY4lgQod_j0P3g&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

All sorts of camera specific packs out there, good luck!

No experience with DSLR's, but if you're ever in my area (Cumberland Valley), and want to check out the Patagonia Roll Top Stormfront in person, let me know. I imagine you could use the rod tube lash points for your tripod.

The MEC Aegir 20 Pack is a good waterproof submersible option if you want a small to mid size backback at 20liters capacity. Not a solution though when quick camera access is required.

And if we are making a list here include these as options:

Patagonia Stormfront Waistpack
Patagonia Stormfront Slingpack
Patagonia Stormfront Backpack

Back