Dryft waders.

P

Paul6.5

I have had my Dryft Primo zipper waders now for 2 years. I have worn them on over 70 trips and they are still as dry as the day I got them.

I am a huge fan of all the pockets inside and out and of course the front zipper. They are my second favorite waders I've ever owned. The first was LL Bean Wicked Tough (no longer exist).

The only thing I am not a fan of is the price I think I paid $400ish and I feel the size is a little off. They are bit baggy which is annoying sometimes.

I have had cheap Cabela's waders, mid priced Orvis and expensive Simms waders. I feel other than these Dryfts and the LL Bean Wicked Toughs they all lasted me about 18 months before they started leaking.

$400 for a for a pair of zip waders is a deal IMO.
Glad to hear these have worked out for you
I'll prolly check them out next time I need new ones.

Had considered buying the wicked tough waders from bean, but never did try them for some reason.
Seem to recall Bean having another wader called "bullet proof". too.
Guessing both weren't very good, because they didn't sell them for very long

I considered buying them when i purchased my last pair of waders but they were constantly out of stock. Ended up going with Redington Escape Zip Wader for about $200 instead and i've been happy with them so far

These are what I got for this past season after two years in frogg toggs. Extremely comfortable and easy in and out. Good sized zippered pockets on either side as well.

first pair of simms g3 lasted 10 years. i bought the new design of the g3 when they came out in 2018, and im still wearing them. i will always open my wallet if something has quality. that goes for anything even outside the fishing world. in the end you really get what you pay for. with that said you have to hope the customer service is as good as the product. to date, i have no issues with simms. so i will keep using them. i cant beat a pair of waders every 10 years. and before anyone asks, im not just a weekend warrior.

Frequently fish or work in fisheries or aquatic biology in an urban, suburban, or agricultural stream/environment and you may think twice about expensive waders. I’ve seen too many waders bite the dust fresh out or close to fresh out of the box after being slashed by various types of trash that has either been discarded into streams, carried there by flood waters, or deposited in riparian areas. This typically occurred in deeper pools and bridge holes where the stream bottom has not been clearly visible. Underwater barbed wire is always fun. This may be one advantage to stocking foot waders, however, as tragedy of the type described in boot foot waders often occurs in the forefoot or the ankle area.

Last edited:
first pair of simms g3 lasted 10 years. i bought the new design of the g3 when they came out in 2018, and im still wearing them. i will always open my wallet if something has quality. that goes for anything even outside the fishing world. in the end you really get what you pay for. with that said you have to hope the customer service is as good as the product. to date, i have no issues with simms. so i will keep using them. i cant beat a pair of waders every 10 years. and before anyone asks, im not just a weekend warrior.
10 YEARS!! Wow I will have to check the G3s out next time. Even 4 years would be great at $600.

Frequently fish or work in fisheries or aquatic biology in an urban, suburban, or agricultural stream/environment and you may think twice about expensive waders. I’ve seen too many waders bite the dust fresh out or close to fresh out of the box after being slashed by various types of trash that has either been discarded into streams, carried there by flood waters, or deposited in riparian areas. This typically occurred in deeper pools and bridge holes where the stream bottom has not been clearly visible. Underwater barbed wire is always fun. This may be one advantage to stocking foot waders, however, as tragedy of the type described in boot foot waders often occurs in the forefoot or the ankle area.
I concur. I also blunder through the woods like a rally car trying to set a hot lap (if I'm not castin' I'm not catchin'). I don't want to think about damaging an expensive pair of waders with thorns and/or other hazards. I swap mine out annually and am ok with buying a new pair every year. I won't deny that more expensive waders inherently have better build quality and last longer and I don't doubt @Kyle having worn his for 10 years and putting a fair amount of miles on it, but the fact of the matter is the objects that Mike described will destroy any pair of waders regardless of how well they are made, so I buy lower priced waders, although them new Simms Tribs were not as low-costing as I'd like them to be. I much preferred the close-outs on the previous model.

I concur. I also blunder through the woods like a rally car trying to set a hot lap (if I'm not castin' I'm not catchin'). I don't want to think about damaging an expensive pair of waders with thorns and/or other hazards. I swap mine out annually and am ok with buying a new pair every year. I won't deny that more expensive waders inherently have better build quality and last longer and I don't doubt @Kyle having worn his for 10 years and putting a fair amount of miles on it, but the fact of the matter is the objects that Mike described will destroy any pair of waders regardless of how well they are made, so I buy lower priced waders, although them new Simms Tribs were not as low-costing as I'd like them to be. I much preferred the close-outs on the previous model.
The most ironic thing about expensive waders is that most people who fish them heavily enough to notice a difference aren't paying full price for them.

i will have to add this to my first comment because i forgot. i have to take in consideration that from early june to early oct im not wearing my waders. so there is that. but still, oct-late may im fishing the fall season and winter season including winter steelhead with my waders. winter steelhead is about twice per month. otherwise im fishing for trout along local streams

The nice thing with Simms is they offer more than just tee shirt sizes (s,m,l,XL).

I really like the Dryft's but sizes are limited, mine are baggy in the legs and butt but next size down were too tight in the foot.

The nice thing with Simms is they offer more than just tee shirt sizes (s,m,l,XL).

I really like the Dryft's but sizes are limited, mine are baggy in the legs and butt but next size down were too tight in the foot.
i am not sure if simms still does this but for the high end waders they will recondition your waders and ship them back to you. if they do this still, obviously its best to do it during the summer months. i would call simms and ask them if you choose to buy higher end models.

Reactions: CRB
Simms sizing is not perfect for everybody but is the best compared to others. XLS fits me better than other companies sizing. My G3s are going strong after 3 years. I have G4s that I bought on closeout also.

Simms sizing is not perfect for everybody but is the best compared to others. XLS fits me better than other companies sizing. My G3s are going strong after 3 years. I have G4s that I bought on closeout also.
XLS? Don't recall seeing that size before.
Is it Extra Large Short? Or Extra Large with smaller booties, 9-11?

Extra Large Short. Booties are 10-12. A little baggy on me but not constricting. I am 5''11" 210lbs. Size 11 1/2 shoe. I am always berween xl and 2xl in sizing ... at least for shirts. 37 or 38 waist. Typical PA coal miner stock.

Extra Large Short. Booties are 10-12. A little baggy on me but not constricting. I am 5''11" 210lbs. Size 11 1/2 shoe. I am always berween xl and 2xl in sizing ... at least for shirts. 37 or 38 waist. Typical PA coal miner stock.
That size would prolly fit me nice too.
I bought regular XL a few months back.
And they fit good, other that the legs being a little longer than I need.

Have always thought that my ideal size would be Large King with !2-13 booties, which Simms didn't make

Kyle- Can I ask how tall you are? The reason being that my G3s lasted maybe 20-25 trips before leaking, as have almost all the waders I have ever bought, and I'm wondering if a persons body type plays into it. I'm not a giant but am 6'3". Almost all my fishing buddies are shorter and all of them are able to keep their waders from leaking, longer than me. I'm wondering if the dynamics of me moving, stretching the fabric and pulling on seams, is causing the leaks. Most of the leaks I've had are in the bootie or on a seam. Obviously, I know why the briar holes leak. I always find it amazing that so many on here get the life out of their waders and boots that they do.

Back