Dry fly sippers

Fredrick

Fredrick

I ran into some dry fly sippers this week but my timing was a little off . Here is a link to some video I shot of it on my GoPro and tips are appreciated. Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169399496541043/permalink/1938562176291434/

What is your weedless set-up?

allthingsfishing wrote:
What is your weedless set-up?

Here it is https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169399496541043/permalink/1701500393330948/

Usually when they are feeding like that you need to downsize to a 22 griffith gnat

Are you experiencing difficulty hooking SH on weedless surface flies (I didn't watch the vid or click on the links)?

While I can't offer any info about SH FFing that you don't already know, I can suggest some basic info from my days of fishing lures for largemouth bass in lilies and other stalk style dense weeds (I did a lot of this sort of fishing back in the day):

One thing I discovered with this game is that bigger lures drew more strikes due to their bigger profile and surface disturbance but often didn't hook as well. Many weedless "frog" or spoon style lures had enormous single or double hooks that required a lot of press-down by the fish's mouth in order to work. The smaller bass that typically hit my lures didn't have big enough mouths and often slashed and blew up on the lures without ever getting hooked. One trick I devised was to use a quick change snap and when a fish blew up on the big frog or weedless spoon, I would quickly change that lure off and throw out a smaller soft plastic hooked TX style. Often the bass was still hot and watching the surface and they would grab the soft plastic and take it down. I'd let 'em hold it for a few moments before setting the hook. Worked much better (it wasn't much fun ripping the line through the stalks and dragging the bass up covered with a huge mat of weeds).

So maybe try a smaller "throw back" streamer with a slender profile and smaller hook to fish that blow up on big flies.

Dave_W wrote:

So maybe try a smaller "throw back" streamer with a slender profile and smaller hook to fish that blow up on big flies.

Lost on the young guy lingo Dave.....What's a throwback Streamer? I'm thinking you mean deceiver or something light.

Baron wrote:
Lost on the young guy lingo Dave.....What's a throwback Streamer? I'm thinking you mean deceiver or something light.

"Throwback streamer" is just a term I used in the answer. There's no common use of this term in FFing. Bait and lure fishermen sometimes refer to a "throwback" lure or live bait that is used to try and tempt a pursuing or interested fish that won't or can't eat the original lure or teaser.

You could use any sort of fly in such a capacity.

got it thanks!

Back