Dry Fly hackle

I also tie most of my flies with dun (early mayflies and olives) and cream necks (sulphurs and cahills), but grizzly flies (midges) are common too.

Charlie Collins is good, but you will get your best luck if you explain exactly what you plan to tie. He was a commercial tier and knows how to select necks.

The higher grades tend to have more feathers and more smaller feathers. It takes me years to finish a neck, if I do at all. Therefore, the higher rated necks don't mean much to me.

Probably the best test for a feather is bend it and see if it stays in plane so it will wrap the right way against a hook or post. If the feathers tend to twist they will be a PITA to tie with. Other than that, the rest is a general impression of a healthy bird with glossy tough feathers. Dull, brittle feathers should be avoided.

i have 4 collins necks and saddle combos, grades 2 and 3) and with them i see this twisting JeffK mentions). Part of it might be my technique, so take that with a pinch of salt.
I also have necks and saddles from whiting and metz - and to be honest i've not noticed any twisting on those because i've not tied a lot of dry flies with those colors.

TO be sure, the collins grade 3 necks are are the best value for money if you're dabbling, and they are certainly nice hackles.

E

I agree with the opinions above. I have 25 good necks but I tend to pull out my whiting 100 packs when I'm tying dries. Plus the whiting packs are so compact and really cut down on space in my travelling fly kit. It's nice to be able to whip up some dries to match what's coming off when you are away from home for a few days.

Back