Dry fly fishing

F

Flyfishing42

Went to my local pond to try some dry fly fishing for the first time. I CRUSHED them caught 26 small crappie, blue gill and a few bass within an one and half. Lots of fun!! My question is being every thing is so light I found it harder to cast. I got the hang of it after awhile but is there a method to dry flys that folks use or prefer?

In standard fly casting, the lighter the fly is, the easier it is to cast.

And vice versa, the heavier the fly is, the harder it is to cast.

So, how to learn standard fly casting?

There are videos on YouTube. But it's easier to have someone show you, casting on a lawn.

You want to find someone who is good at casting AND good at teaching.

Yeah. Dry flies is more traditional fly casting. The weight is in the line. The more weight you put on the business end, the more you have to deviate from a traditional fly cast.

So, what you are saying is that you need to learn how to fly cast. Normal for a beginner. As was said, I recommend getting someone to teach you. Paying if necessary. Or come to the jam in a few weeks. Youtube videos can help as well.

If you need casting advice Orvis casting instructor Pete Kutzer has some great videos on YouTube. If you know an experienced fly angler willing to help then that's even better. You'll learn quickly. Casting dry flies is simple.

Have you tried going out to an open area and casting with only the fly line and leader, no fly or hook. It makes for good practice. Just remember you're casting the line not the fly, and try to get your leader to lay out straight. Keep it smooth, no "muscling" on the cast. Every time I get jazzed up casting I stop and think "slow everything down and take it easy".

The best fly casters I have seen seem to use the least effort.

All good advice. Got another lesson from a friend and slowly getting hang of it. Dry fly fishing seems to take the cake so far as overall fun. Thanks again.

"Dry fly fishing seems to take the cake so far as overall fun."

What other reason is there to fly fish at all J/K

Just wait until you start picking off the rising rainbows one after another.

Also if you try learning and practicing on the front lawn-make sure there is nothing on the leader that can snag -you will drop many casts at first-forward and back casts-0nly takes once and you will be wondering why the rods are so fragile-they aren't-lot of torque .Or Pcray can straighten me out on what the word is.lol

Back