Dry Fly Fishing

Great info so far... My first thought is with HA. Considering other fish were refusing, it sounds like you were getting fish "nosing" it. Typically means you are "close, but no cigar." Could be a change in fly size, color, or presentation.

As for movement, there will be times when you want to "skitter" the fly to show some life.

If you fish stream stretches where the fish are not pounded so hard, most of those problems will go away.

Beetle ...I put some bits and pieces (from u gents) together and got 2 on a beetle .. and I think JT tied'em lol. Feel like a lil kid but I wanted to report stream side from the kiddie pool on my first dry hook ups. Brang both to my feet as I tried to bring them to hand but they both count in my book.

Congrats on those two. Stick with it. It will get easier as you spend more time fishing dries. A buddy of mine gave me some advice when I was learning to swing streamers for steelhead, I think that advice is applicable here. Just leave the nymph box at home. You'll be forced to figure it out or you won't catch fish. Just going out there and spending the time working on a new technique will result in imporved skills.

Holy sugar mags ... must be full moon tonight. Got 2 more and finally brought one to hand. Arnd 6ish 3 college kids showed up and must've thought I was such a geek .... there by myself saying "holy S". The hook advice was key as my cast were somewhat short to med length. So cool watch tjem approach, taking it, and getting one on. Feel like such a geek but this feels like the 1st time I got a birdie and I couldn't think of a better group to share the child like 'high' I'm on right now! :-D

Awesome man, very happy for you.

I am shedding a joyful tear here Andrew......
Stagger_Lee wrote:
Holy sugar mags ... must be full moon tonight. Got 2 more and finally brought one to hand. Arnd 6ish 3 college kids showed up and must've thought I was such a geek .... there by myself saying "holy S". The hook advice was key as my cast were somewhat short to med length. So cool watch tjem approach, taking it, and getting one on. Feel like such a geek but this feels like the 1st time I got a birdie and I couldn't think of a better group to share the child like 'high' I'm on right now! :-D

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Congrats, great job. Did you watch and observe the water for a period of time before you started fishing? IMO that's important. Remember that little talk we had last Saturday? Again it's great to hear your skills are improving. Keep at it.

Awesome, it's great when things start coming together. Good times.

boychick wrote:

Awesome man, very happy for you.
Thanks and more imptly thanks for the advice (you and the others). Per leaving the nymphs @ home ... I'll leave'em in the car just in case real frustration sets in. ;-)

VN wrote:

I am shedding a joyful tear here Andrew
Lol .. funny thing is my wife just doesn't get it so I need ur "tears of joy" :). When I walked in the door last night I was rambling on abt my success that evening and she basically said "I dont get it? It isn't like you've never caught fish b4". Good women but just doesn't get it.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Congrats, great job. Did you watch and observe the water for a period of time before you started fishing? IMO that's important. Remember that little talk we had last Saturday? Again it's great to hear your skills are improving. Keep at it.
Yes sir! Took my time getting to the spot (observing where I thought they would be holding) as I could've just worked my way up stream. Was determined to fish dry only, just work on some of the different things discussed here (Have a few more questions but I'll post'em later) Only place I saw consistent rising was in the kiddie pool. Even took my time watching them rise there tho I don't know what they were rising to. FYI ... look @ my post, #10 in this thread ... I remember.

my wife just doesn't get it

Neither does mine... I don't think she ever will. At least she's supportive even if she doesn't udnerstand.

Congratulations Andrew!

You were really due. Somehow, I knew you'd cut loose soon.

Here's wishing you MANY more (it's inevitable). :pint:

Great job guy! Now all there is to do is to just keep at it

Congrats Andrew!

Back