“Dry Flies: An Improved Method of Tying”, L.T.Threadgold, Swan Hill Press 1998

fishbaithohaha

fishbaithohaha

“Dry Flies: An Improved Method of Tying”, L.T.Threadgold, Swan Hill Press 1998

Yesterday, I started reading L.T. Threadgold’s book. His system incorporates different proportions, materials, and techniques. My question is, does anyone agree with his theories, accept his principals or practice his Footprint Fly System (sic)?

where did you get this book, I have never heard of it

Picked up in library.

L.T. theorizes, a “go” response to a drifting natural is triggered by a progressive reveal and background/refracted light. From below, a drifting mayfly entering a trout’s window is progressively revealed as:

• feet
• feet + wings tips
• feet + elongated, translucent wings + body
• feet + wings + body + tail.

As the natural drift toward the center of the window, background/refracted light causes a natural’s wings and body to flare (sic).

A secondary trigger is the natural’s coloration. LT notes red, yellow, and orange are more readily seen then other colors. Contrasting colors, black/white, red/green, yellow/black, red/white, yellow/white. Least important in triggering a take, are size and shape.

To induce more takes then, a tied fly must emulate the natural drift and changing exposure. LT’s developed his principals for the Footprint Fly System (sic) to closely parallel a natural as seen by a trout. He considered hackling, materials, technique, and proportions to imitate drifting naturals.

Fish , there was Vince Marinaro, who many years ago also came up with how alledgedly the trout sees a Mayfly based on the way it comes into the "Window".

Back