Drought

The long term forecast suggests a good chance (like 65%) of a warm and wet (El Nino influenced) Summer for PA. If that pans out, the flows now won’t matter and we can expect good fishing later in the Summer…think 2018 and 2019 for the last El Niño period. Fishing (for Trout) was great all Summer both of those years. Smallmouth guys probably hated it as the big rivers were constantly blown out.
Here's some good El Nino content for those inclined to learn more. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

WMO Update: Prepare for El Niño

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/wmo-update-prepare-el-niño

And, the really bad thing about it is it's pretty much statewide. So, you can't even drive to find better conditions.
I fished in Potter county earlier this week and every stream was at levels normally seen in late summer, way below normal sping levels. Really need a serious change in precipitation soon.

Levels were low, but not worrisomely low. Water temps were 3-5 degrees below normal for this time of year on the big limestoners. We had that big rain a few weeks ago where everything was high, and its been cold and dry since. Freestoners were very low, for May. But not low for August. And water temps were fine on them too.

I'm neither more nor less worried about late summer flows yet. What has happened so far has almost no bearing on flows in July-September, even on limestoners. And thats the critical time frame if summer mortality is your concern. In a month its time to start paying attention to that.

As for the fishing last weekend, I think we coulda used a few degrees warmer on water temps, but thats probably happening now with the warmup.
I am in now way worried about this. I have quit worrying about stuff that is 100% out of my control.

I am in now way worried about this. I have quit worrying about stuff that is 100% out of my control.

Back