Drought watch/warning and fracking

salvelinus

salvelinus

I'm sure most are aware of the widespread drought watch, with Potter County under a drought warning. Yet in my travels up here I see numerous water tankers for fracking on the road. Residents are supposed to voluntarily cut back use 10 - 15% but the gas industry can keep right on going? Where are they getting their water? Why is this allowed?

Water withdrawals for most of the state are approved by the Susquehanna River Basin Commission. Lots of produced water is now recycled. And there are nowhere near as many completions going on in PA as there were even a year ago. SRBC would determine if and when they need to shutdown intakes. If it's bought from a private source like a water utility or a municipal reservoir, someone would make that call.

Most of the water used these days is reused water. The flowback of previously fracked wells. Lessens water withdrawals as well as reduces how much waste water there is to treat.

That's not to say that withdrawals aren't occurring. But seeing some water tankers in no way suggests that there are.

Isn't it weird that you go like 2 counties over and they are having flooding yet right in north central PA we have been in a drought? I think things have improved with the recent storms but I know we are still way short of rain from what we normally have.

Sorry pcray but there are still a lot of water tanks moving(and hauling fresh water at least up here in Wyoming county.I can say that it has slowed down a bit but there still sucking and havent really ever stopped.The water levels up here have been yoyoing up and down all summer,from nothing to brown rage.I can say that they do not take water that is muddy or heavy stained they want it nice and clear.

Again, they use water trucks to transport flowback water for reuse at other wells. They pump from holding ponds, drive to other wells, and unload it.

If you see them sucking from streams or lakes, fine. And I would believe it. I'm not saying it isn't happening. I dunno.

My point was the presence of water trucks driving along roads isn't evidence of such.

We have both up here,Not as many holding ponds as fresh water sites but a few and they have been installing pipe lines just for water.Ive been grumping about this for a while now,there are at least six water sites located on the tunkhannock creek in wyoming and susquehanna countys.When they back flush the pipes that lead from the creeks it looks like a water fountain coming from the middle of the creek.

Amish draw water from penns up here as they please

But are they adding chemicals and pumping it back under ground.

The gas-fired power plants that are popping up use a lot of water.

Back