Droppers already or stick with a single fly?

M

mgh-pa

As many of you know from my first post, I'm VERY new to this, but I can't help but notice how many of you fish multiple fly setups. Is this something I should bother worrying about for now, or just stick with a single fly setup? What % would you you fish a multi-fly setup vs a single? I suppose I don't necessarily want to make things to complicated early on.

mgh-pa wrote:
As many of you know from my first post, I'm VERY new to this, but I can't help but notice how many of you fish multiple fly setups. Is this something I should bother worrying about for now, or just stick with a single fly setup? What % would you you fish a multi-fly setup vs a single? I suppose I don't necessarily want to make things to complicated early on.

mgh-pa wrote(in a previous post):
I was able to get a few decent forward casts, but on two occasions (almost embarrassed to admit this), my leader/fly hooked back on my line body and/or my rod tip.

One fly is more than enough for a beginner to handle.... :oops:

lol!

Agreed. You need to get better control of your casting before going to multiple flies.

It requires "opening your loop up", which is tough to do when you're learning how to form a loop in the first place!

When the time comes, you'll know it. I think moving to multiple flies is a natural progression for many anglers.

If/When you do start a dry and unweighted dropper will be the easiest.

afishinado wrote:
mgh-pa wrote:

mgh-pa wrote(in a previous post):
I was able to get a few decent forward casts, but on two occasions (almost embarrassed to admit this), my leader/fly hooked back on my line body and/or my rod tip.

One fly is more than enough for a beginner to handle.... :oops:

lol!

Haha, good one, and well, too true.

Thanks, guys. I'm putting the cart WAY ahead of the horse here.

You'll try it anyways someday, and you'll be surprised that it works. :)

Once you get the basic 4 part down, then when you think you're not horsewhipping the stream to submission, tie one more on the end.

Going to 3, or even two plus an indi (or 3 and an indi, eek) exponentially raises the frustration.

mgh,
I'd recommend sticking to one fly. When you start fishing "droppers" - meaning multiple flies - you're likely to get tangled a lot more. Learning fly fishing (FFing) is much more pleasant when you're not getting tangled.

Personally, unless you are already casting very well, I'd stick with one fly. If you must try two flies you should consider just adding a length of 4X to the bend of your fly with the clinch knot. Make the piece of tippet 8" - 12" long and then tie the other fly on. Now you'll have two inline flies rather than a dropper hanging off of your tippet at a ninety degree angle that often gets all wrapped around the leader.

Back