Dropper rig

B

Bogey

Hi guys, I apologize if this is on the forum somewhere but when I searched it I came up empty. How often do you fish a dropper rig and what are the conditions? Is there any time you wouldn't want to use it ? Is there a specific knot you use (or a second tag line connected with a blood knot) or can you just use improved clinch knots from the hook of the first fly to th second? Also, does the top fly have to be dry fly or can I use two nymphs? Thanks,

I use the dropper off the bend of the first hook. I use the improved clinch knot to attach the dropper to the first hook and tie the second fly to the dropper.
When I'm fishing for trout, I'll fish two nymphs in tandem, sometimes the smaller on the dropper, sometimes the larger. I'll fish smaller nymphs or emergers behind a dry fly. Also, a very small dry behind the larger fly.
If I'm fishing warm water, the only time I'll use a dropper is off of a popper.

I use droppers often. I like tying off the bend of the dry and the dry acts as a nice indicator for the nymph below, however people also use tag ends. I don't normally fish a 2 nymph rig, but if I did I'd probably us the tag end to separate the two flies rather than off the bend of the hook of the first nymph.

Bogey wrote:
How often do you fish a dropper rig and what are the conditions? Is there any time you wouldn't want to use it ? Also, does the top fly have to be dry fly or can I use two nymphs? Thanks,

When fishing for trout I fish two flies more often than I fish with one.

Yes, you can fish two nymphs or wet flies and this can still be called a "dropper" or "tandem" rig. Some fly fishers even fish with two streamer flies but this is much less common.

Usually if the dry fly is small or an ant, I will not use a dropper.

Also, If I am really focused on fishing a dry (say during a hatch), I will again forego the dropper.

I use is more as a searching technique or in a low water indicator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JUJP-unn4 This helped me, hope it helps you!!
Sean

Thanks guys, great feedback...links and video were also very helpful, although I think I need to work on my cast a bit before I ever try three flies...

I've fly fished most of my life and still rarely use three flies.

Something about a triple sided grappling hook slinging around and the possibility of losing three flies on a tree branch are a plays a turn off.

I get two flies tangled up and hung up enough. Three would drive me bananas on the stream.

all good info!

Another tip, get Kelly Galloups nymphing video...it will really show you a lot of ways to do this. I've been at this awhile now and learned a pile in his video alone...and why some situations I hammer fish and others I flat out miss a pile.

http://www.flyfishtv.com/nymphing-by-the-numbers/

bogey, for more flies, open your loop....contradictory to what you'd think. Tight loops will lead to a mess in a hurry! We spent all of our time trying to get tighter loops and here's that one time in particular you don't want it.

You're still going to get them...even with 2!

I've found even when I'm trying to target something, say a caddis hatch...that a dropper still pulls in 1/4-1/3 of the days catch. Sometimes just throwing something different is enough to catch the bulk of the fish! I don't throw 3 normally but I will throw 2 nymphs in a heart beat! one deep and one up a bit.

Thanks ak, definitely going to try it next week if the weather cooperates a bit.

I normally always use 2 flies. I prefer to have the heavier of the two on top. I tie my dropper line to the bend of the hook of the first fly using just a clinch knot. Using two flies compared to one give you a better chance of a fish being caught since you're putting two options in front of him, it gets your flies down faster, etc. The only negative is that when you first start doing it, you may get some knots since you haven't casted with 2 flies before. But, after a few fish caught, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

Finally got out today and used a dropper rig with a sexy walts worm followed by a pink Frenchie (tied both this last week for the first time). I landed three rainbows on the walts and one one the Frenchie as well as several missed hits and a few coming unbuttoned(fishing Brandywine creek).

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been a great learning experience.

I use two style of dropper rigs. A dry-dropper and a 2 nymph rig.

Dry-dropper - I generally use it either on shallower water, or during a hatch. On some clear, shallow streams, I'll use a high floatin dry in place of an indicator. Generally, the reason is that it's less likely to spook fish than an indicator. Also, fish in these streams are semi-aggressive, and often hit the dry. It's kind of a "test" to see if dries are going to work today, without giving up the dropper. If I start getting as many hits on top as I do on the dropper, I just cut the dropper off.

Likewise on larger streams during hatches, if I think they're taking floating nymphs/emergers, I'll often put an unweighted pheasant tail, tied on a dry fly hook, as a dropper less than a foot behind a dun of the same bug. Mostly this is to track where your nymph is without spooking the fish. You can't see a nymph fished in the film, so if fish are rising everywhere, you end up having no clue. Watching the dry at least narrows your area to watch.

In both cases I tie my dropper from the eye of the dry fly. You can't really use a dry dropper if you want your nymph to be very deep, because any real weight you add sinks the dry.

For 2 nymph rigs, I use these when I'm dredging bottom and really don't expect to do anything else that day. Typically, I leave a long tag end at the first blood knot up from the point fly. Usually the point fly is the fly I plan to catch most fish on. The dropper is used to put on an "anchor fly", i.e. a very heavily weighted one. When on the dropper, it's a little less likely to snag, and if you do snag it, often you just lose that fly off the dropper rather than the whole rig. Sometimes I don't even put a fly on the dropper, just a few shot. Then when they snag, they pull right off. Put on new shot and you're back in business. Not only that, but having that open ended line makes changing weight amounts pretty easy.

PCRAY

I really like that idea of using a nymph and then a drop of just split shot below, good tip

Well, the shot would be "above".

rod tip --> butt of leader ---> dropper off a blood knot in the tippet area (use the thicker of the 2 lines) --> point fly at end of tippet. The point is the main fish catcher. The dropper is for the weight.

The trade-off here, if you're using a lot of weight, is that castability is better if you spread out the shot along the leader, and tangles are less likely too. But recovering from snags is better if you put it all on the dropper. So which way I go generally depends on how difficult the casting is. High stick nymphing, it's generally pretty close range, just flipping it up, and thus you can get away with a very open casting stroke. Just a flip, really.

If you do this, you generally still do need at least 1 shot between the dropper and the point. It can be a small one, though. Helps keep the point fly from flopping about and tangling. Make sure that shot is "out of range" of the dropper, or else they'll just wrap around each other (so keep the dropper short).

Back