Driller's attemp to gain support from the fishing community

B

Buggy

I know this is old info and not related to fly fishing.

Range Resources was a sponsor of the FLW Forrest Wood Cup in Pittsburgh this past summer. Range Resources drilled the first ever Marcellus well. They are one of the biggest players if not the biggest player. Why would they sponsor a fishing tournament? They were trying to buy, I mean win, the support of the fishing community and PA Fish and Boat Commission with this sponsorship. This information can be found in the third paragraph from the bottom in the following link. http://flw.flwoutdoors.com/tournament.cfm?cid=1&tid=6330&t=news&tday=3&atype=3

Here’s another example.

Dutch Fork Lake in Washington County was drained due to damage to the breastworks. The lake is owned by the Commonwealth and managed by the PA Fish and Boat Commission. Range Resources wants to foot the bill for dam repairs to gain access to water. The locals think this is a good idea for an area deprived of fishing opportunities. Hopefully the Fish Com. will keep the Commonwealth from taking the offer. I can’t find any new info since the initial report.
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/02-17-Dutch-Fork-dam-repaired-

This portion of the watershed has received recognition as an Important Bird Area and Important Mammal Area by Audubon. The area is also recognized as having especially high water quality. I’ve witnessed a wide variety of insect hatches while fishing for rock bass and smallmouth on Buffalo Creek.
http://pa.audubon.org/Sites/site80.pdf

The other day , Thursday , a friend and i were deer hunting and passed by a drilling operation that was in plain sight from the road , we sat and watched for awhile , they were drilling in an old strip mined area on a hillside above Little Paint creek in Somerset county above the town of Mine 42 and Windber , the water from the operation was running down an old run off course into a containment dam (plastic lined) below the drill but above Little Paint creek , while the water in the dam was chocolate muddy i can honestly say the water in the creek was as clear as can be , we stopped on the way down to really take a look at the stream in several places and it was clear. The potential for disaster was easy to see but they were doing it the right way as far as we could tell , at least it looked ok. They were recycling the water from the dam back up to the drill rig but we don't know where they got the water to start with , there was a tanker truck parked by the drill but it never moved , one would have to assume the original water was obtained from the creek by the tanker truck. I guess the bottom line is they were doing their thing and the trout stream was not being affected.

that's good news, glad to hear it! also glad you took the time to check it out, that's all people need to do!

bikerfish...........if even a little bit of the water they had in the containment dam would have made it into the stream you would have been able to see it for miles.........keep your eyes open is all we need to do , you are right about that.

Back