Drift boats and trolling motors

M

Maxdog

Looking for advice. I recently got a 16' Hyde drift boat and want to get a trolling motor to power me through the frog water on the big rivers. Any recommendations on brand and size would be appreciated.

Minn-Kota would be my choice for sure! They are awesome. I have two trolling motors (30 and 55 lb. thrust for a 12' and 14' smaller aluminum boat that I fish weekly). My Endura Max 55 flies with the 14' boat, but for your 16' drift boat which is also very heavy, I would recommend a motor of at least 55 pound thrust, possible up to 80 (however over 60 lb. though you need a 24 volt battery or carry two 16s on the boat). Try the Traxxis, Endura Max, or Endura C2 series. I like the Minn-Kota composite shafts because they deflect better off of rocks if by accident you hit one and won't bend like an aluminum one. Motorguide is another popular brand but for the money and the customer service, I say Minn-Kota all the way.

This is the one I have and I also got the trickle charger (5 amp) and it charges the battery great.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1837280&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_DOb&MDC=cat104645880#tabsCollection

I hope this helps! Thanks!

When I talked to Joe D last time up, I think his is 35#. That's 16' boat with 3 guys and it gets you down the pool. Kevin, you're not trying to tow a skier!

I give the stink eye to guys with them. Lol. Im holding out til 60 before I get one. I catch plenty of trout I the 'frog water' you'll be blowing through. Lol

Yeah..."frogwater"?... On the Delaware? HA! Nope. I never see any fish in those slower pools.....shhhh

Saw a little kayak with a jet....You could tear #censor# up through the shallows in one of them no matter how low the flows are.

+1 for the Minnkota. I've owned Motorguide over the years, but there is no comparison in the long run. My 55 Maxxum moves by 1000 pound bass boat (closer to 1800 pounds with 2 occupants, gear and 20 gallons of gas) very well.

Appreciate the responses. Sounds like Minn-Kota is the way to go. Yep there are trout in the frog water. But the are times like when a storm is blowing in and you got 3 miles to the take out.......

If the fishing is slow, you can get to the ramp ASAP and avoid sitting there while 19 boats take out ahead of you. I'd get one solely for that purpose. Lol.

Back