Drft boats vs. Rafts with fishing deck

Acristickid

Acristickid

Don't know much about either of these means of conveyance but figured I would ask.

A drift boat seems much hardier but a raft is much less cost. Not to mention storing the thing. What about inflating the raft once you get to the water so you don't need a trailer or putting it on the roof.

Are there certain types of water where one is better than another?

There are a couple of rivers on the western side of PA that I would think these would work great. Again, never fished either of these boats but figured I might learn something.

In other types of boating; I have learned it is cheaper and eaiser just to rent. What do you think? Anyone use both methods?

No takers ehh.

I did mean to spell drift boat with an I maybe that's why there is a lack of responces.

What about a catamaran. sits up high line a raft and its much more maneuverable. A lot lighter than either of the others as well.

Tom- thanks.

Where did you find that one at? I am not really serious about purchasing a boat but rather just trying to become more knowledgable about the different kinds and costs. The two good sized rivers I am thinking of- probably be cheaper and easier just to rent anyway.

-- Funny to me that the guide service that services the one river in SWPA has not even called me back about a float trip.

I just googled cataraft...it was the first pic to come up...Here's a little smaller and more affordable version of essentially the same thing...

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1172&deptid=1133

here's the other...

Drift boats are 2 men outfits-one handling oars ,one fishing.
There are Better choices for Eastern waters but they are really macho so some buy them.

Pete41,

I don't know much about the whole drift boat thing. What would you recommend for eastern waters?

depends on the water.If your fishing shallow waters with many riffles a kayak or canoe works fine.A raft if there aren't too many sharp rocks.deeper slower water kayaks are great.I use one down here in Florida and love it.If you go the kayak route-get a serious one and stay away from the toys sold by many sporting goods stores.They are too poorly designed for anything but kids playing in shallow water.I used to canoe the susky below Conowingo[sp]-rough water,no problem.
Word to the wise-don't shoot out of a sidestream across a main fast current.not smart-been there,done that -had to swim the wide Missouri in my underwear and hike out about four miles-canoe under a sweeper.This was in Nov. in a snowstorm.Ah youth,can't beat it.
whatever you get-you got to portage it-weight counts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The smaller pontoon type boats seem nice and at much less cost but I would think it would be a real challege to cast from them.

Maybe these can just get you otherwise unreachable water where you can get to a rock or shallower water to fish from.

We fish with kayaks. Allot of competition fisherman use drift boats when they fish lakes. A jon boat would work as a substitute. For a one man resonable means of transport. I like my kayak but wouldn't recommend them for big lakes with lots of boat traffic.

I might go the kayak route. If I do i am going to get one for the ocean for when I hit those blitzing stripers and bluefish in RI!!!!!!

There was some nut that hooked a sailfish , jumped in his kayak and landed it. It almost ranked up there with the surfer dude great white shark fisherman. Stipers and blue fish... very tempting however!

Here's a nifty article on personal pontoon boats. Don't know how applicable to PA fishing it is, but it's a nifty article.
http://flyfisherman.com/skills/dspontoons/index.html

Dear Padraic:

The term "nifty" should never be used more than once in the same paragraph, even on informal internet message boards.

See, Rule 16.4 Strunk & White, The Elements of Style (4th Edition).

JackM

Style ...Really. Go fishing. Nifty is an awesome word in fact I think I'll try using it tomorrow at work at corporate America as many times as I can and keep count. Maybe I'll be jobless and will have more time on the stream. Nifty day isn't it? I think I'll grab a nifty cup of coffee! If it turns out bad are you free to fish?

Last weekend I only got out to the lake for a couple hours for bluegill, so I think it would be nifty if I had a chance to fish for trout this weekend. However, I don't think I can join you at all as I am from the other side of the state, and gas is too expensive. Nonetheless, have a terrific time and let us know how using that word all day works out for you.

JackM wrote:
Dear Padraic:

The term "nifty" should never be used more than once in the same paragraph, even on informal internet message boards.

See, Rule 16.4 Strunk & White, The Elements of Style (4th Edition).

Gosh it sure is swell to have you around to point out things like that. :-D

My day was "Nifty!"

The people I work with (Well most) took about 2 nifty's to get on the band wagon and I heard the word nifty on the radios we carry so many times I wished I hadn't started it. Sharp bunch of jokesters I work with. It even followed me home in the car pool. It did make for an entertaining no I mean "Nifty" Friday.

The "nifty" talk made me laugh.

Sometimes at parties or get togethers some friends of mine play a little word game. Usually it's two people but sometimes more will try to get an "unsuspecting" person to say a certian unusual word.

It can be fun to play. Words like obtuse and opaque come to mind.

Back