DRAG GONE - NOW FIXED

JackM

JackM

Staff member
I have a Cortland Crown 55 Disk Drag that I use for my 3 weight line. I noticed the few times I took it out recently, that the drag was non-existent. Turned all the way up, it did very little to slow the spool. I was shopping for a new reel thinking that the drag was simply "worn out," but decided to have a look to see if maybe it could be cleaned or something.

Turns out, when I removed the drag knob (held on by a screw), the knob simply holds a standard nut that could then be tightened slightly, restoring the function of the drag.

I never knew this and thought maybe others have old disc drag reels with the same problem and maybe the same solution and might like to look into it. I saved myself the cost of a new reel and can now spend the money elsewhere.

Jack Worte: "I saved myself the cost of a new reel and can now spend the money elsewhere."

Yea, like a new reel! :)

Afterall, you did save that money for a new reel...

MKern wrote:
Jack Worte: "I saved myself the cost of a new reel and can now spend the money elsewhere."

Yea, like a new reel! :)

Afterall, you did save that money for a new reel...

Obviously, you don't know Jack.... ....M

Jack,

What do you need a drag for??? Unless you're fishing for steellies, which I doubt with a 3-weight. No drag needed in PA.

I completely agree with beeber2...no drag needed in PA unless fishing for steelies or smallmouths. I've never understood paying a lot for a reel for trout fishing especially here in PA. I've caught some very very large trout too and I've never needed a reel with a good expensive drag. All my reels are cheap Okumas that I don't think I spent more then $35 on.

I play a good many of my fish off the reel. I don't need an industrial strength drag on my 3-weight setup, but I do need something more than a freespooling reel. I probably don't need the disc drag, but it is what I own in a small reel.

If my drag fails again, you are welcome to trade me your reel with a working drag for mine with a broken one. Even-steven, I would assume is fair.

Back