Downs Box - Gift

troutpoop

troutpoop

I was just given a Downs 3 drawer box for my b-day. It took me 30 years to get my stuff organized but I like the idea of the chest box for sure. Now to figure out where to stow the net, nippers and floatant??

When I had a box like that I just clipped zingers to the straps to hold the floatant, nippers, hemostats, etc. I can't help with the net, other than sliding it in a wading belt or "net holster".

Just read a review of the net holster from Smith Creek. The review was very positive, I'm thinking about ordering one myself.

Nippers are easy. Attach zinger to the strap, just to the side of the box. Put nippers on zinger.

Hemostats, no zinger for me, I like being able to go string free and get a full range of motion for removing fish. I just clip it to the strap above the box.

Most of those boxes have floatant holders. The Downs doesn't? Could probably engineer one.

The floatant holders I've seen on the site seem to be for the liquid squeeze bottles like Gink.
I use Frogs Fanny or Dry magic, neither will fit.

I'm gonna look at the Smith Creek net holder for on my wading belt that already holds my folstaf.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Maybe I will use the chest pockets on my G3s. They mostly stay empty anyway...till now.

Mine's a Richardson, but when you order you specify what floatant you use and they size it accordingly.

I use Gink most often, but I was thinking about adding a second holder for Frog's Fanny. I use the Gink on all hackled flies but I do use Frog's Fanny on CDC flies. Currently if I plan on using CDC I throw the Frog's fanny in a pocket somewhere, but it'd be nice to have it accessible like the Gink.

Yeah, the hardest part is a place for loose stuff like keys, shot, tippet, and snuff. I usually put the keys in an interior pocket under the waders, since it doesn't have to be accessible while fishing. But the rest has to be accessible.

You gotta be a little careful when buying waders so that you still have access to the chest pouch. My G3's work ok with my Richardson, the pocket is deep enough that the items sit below where the box sits on my chest. But it's still a bit of a hassle to access them. I don't gotta take the box off, but I do have to fumble underneath a bit. My solution has been to wear shirts with zippered or Velcro breast pockets. Then it's to the left or right of the box. But carry only 1 or 2 tippet spools to keep em from getting too thick. If you can't handle that, get a tippet tender and hang it from the straps.

Other items, like a camera and a flashlight. Use the wristcord, wrap around suspender belt on the waders, tuck under waders so they don't flop around.

Seems like a lot of hassle, but honestly, ditching a vest was the best thing I ever did. Forced me to simplify a bit, and did wonders for my back. And I go to my fly box far more than any of these other things. With any other method, you had to fish around for fly boxes. And you may have a bunch of them to sort through. Now, I hold more flies, and they're immediately accessible.

I'm looking forward to ditching the vest. I just did a bit of fiddling around with it.
Two spools of tippet in waders in front accessible pocket.
Zinger with nippers in large chest pocket. I can pull them out to use and tuck in, I don't like stuff dangling around.
Non essentials like an extra furled leader, clip on LED light for hat, small bug spray pen, nail knot tyer in the inside flip out pockets of waders.
I will take advice to just clip forceps to strap and hang amadou patch on strap too, or maybe in box. I mostly fish dry flies if at all possible.
Smith Creek net thingy ordered.

ok, now to just get out to work out the bugs.

Back