Down to 2 rods.

Millertime

Millertime

Hey guys.

I just bought a new 6WT reel

I am looking at 2 different rods right now. I want a warranty so needs to be new.

9 ft 4 piece 6WT

In no order:

TFO Axiom

Sage Flight

I won't buy anything until I touch it. These are in my price range. I have done alot of research over the last few days and these are my final 2. I don't have a lot of cash to spend this is pretty much my limit.
It will be for general all around use.

I like fast action. My rod now has little flex and I am used to it.

Anybody have these models?

Anybody have any horror stories?
Any information would help.

I had some one tell me you can feel the difference when you pick up a Sage. Is this True?

Thanks in Advance.

I've test cast and fished all the TFO rods extensively and the Axiom Series in my opinion are as stiff as a broomstick and underrated by at least 2 full line sizes. As an all around fishing rod I think you would be tremendously disapponted in this rod. As a crow bar, however, it's perfect.

In the TFO series you've got the Finesse Series (a medium-fast "traditional" trout action rod); the Professional Series (a "stiffer" version of the Finesse - call it fast action); the TiCr Series (a much beefier and stiffer rod than the Professional Series and underrated by at least 1/2 line size in my opinion); and the TiCrx Series (even more beefy and stiffer than the TiCrx and underrated by a full line size). Based on your preferance for a fast action rod, I'd look at the Professional and the TiCr series but you've got to cast them to see which one you like.

I've also cast and fished a 5 weight Sage Flight. This is a nice rod. It's basically the Z-Axis design/taper with cheaper hardware, a slightly different mfg. process and not quite as nice cork. An excellent buy and you most certainly won't be disappointed but again, you've got to cast it because what feels good to me may feel like crap to you. if you like this rod, I would say the TFO Professional is the most similar TFO rod.

I am hoping to get my hands on some of these rods soon.

I do like a fast rod. The rod I learned on is rigid and super fast.

I want it to hold up for steelhead but on the other hand I want it to be soft enough for a small creek.

I am trying to buy a diverse rod. Your input really helps. Thanks.

PS
I emailed TFO about a few questions I had about their rods and warranty and a guy named Brandon from their company has been extremely personable and helpful in a few emails we have exchanged. I am liking their company a lot right now.

Looking for a diverse rod that performs across the spectrum from steelhead to a small creek is really pushing the performance envelope for even the most top of the line rods made by Winston, Sage, Scott, etc.

The problem with fast action rods is there are really two designs – fast action for light applications (trout) and fast action for heavy applications (bass, steelhead, light salt, etc.). The main difference is for trout-friendly fast action rods (3-6 weights), you really want and need a rod with a soft, flexible tip (18-24 inches) to protect fine tippets and allow you to cast off the tip when working in close. For heavy applications (7-12 weight) you really don’t need as soft a tip because tippets are not fine, you’re not working in close and if you are using sinking line, you really need a rod that has backbone and can get the line out of the water with authority.

Now, TFO makes very fine rods for the price but the issue I have is it seems that the Axiom and TiCrx series rods (and maybe even the TiCr series) are rods designed for heavy duty that have been made in lighter line weights of 4-6 BUT the lighter line weight rods retain the design characteristics of the heavy duty models (i.e., overly stiff tip). The result, in my opinion, is these rods really aren’t good rods to use on small creeks when close, delicate work is required because the tips are simply too stiff and don’t bend enough. Not that you can’t use these rods but you will be prone to breaking off fish on anything lighter than 5x tippet and up close casting will not be delicate because you won’t be able to load the rod properly

Conversely, the Professional series rod is more of a light duty fast action rod that has been made in line sizes of 7 – 12 while maintaining the light duty soft tip design. I think this rod in the heavier line sizes isn’t good because the tip bends too much.

Just so you know, I have a 9 foot, 8 weight TiCr rod that I use for bass and light salt water. I also have a 7.5 foot, 3 weight Professional Series rod that I use for a backup and when fishing small, tight streams where I don’t want to risk damaging my other rods. A friend of mine has the 8’-9” 6 weight Finesse series rod, which is really nice but definitely a softer more traditional action rod best suited for trout.

Since you want a rod that covers the entire spectrum ask yourself where in the spectrum will you be fishing the majority of your time. If the majority of your fishing will be done on smaller streams and you simply want a rod that you could use for steelhead, consider getting a rod that is designed more towards the light duty range where you’ll be spending the majority of your time. Too many people try and buy a rod that can cover everything and end up with the wrong rod for 75% of the fishing they do and it is not enjoyable to use. Why fight the rod 75% of the time?

basically what green weenie is saying.... it is VERY difficult to cover both bases... toughness for steelhead, and finess for small stream trout. If you look at the recent poll, you can see many guys on here have MANY rods. This is why. Steelhead, sure get a 6 or 7 wt fast action rod with some gusto. Small stream, get a 3 wt 7ft rod that will take care of delicate casts and flies. It's like trying to go offroading with a corvette. Yeah you can do it, but wasn't made for that reason and won't work out too well. You need a specific rod, for a specific instance.

Covering your bases in 2 rods is tough, but I think it can be done if you narrow it down between the species in my opinion. 3 rods is more ideal to me 7-7'6ft 4 wt for small streams, 8'6-9ft 5 for larger water, 9-10ft 7wt for PA Steelies. If you fish in NY for Salmon, you may want to get an 8 or 9wt which you COULD use in Erie for Steelies. Lots of guys also like a 10ft or longer 6wt for Steelies too.

Some_lenghth 4wt will pretty much do what you need to on small-medium sized trout streams. You may struggle on larger trout waters a little bit but if you get the right line and adjust your casting you'll be fine.

Steelies--Can you fish a 5 or 6 wt, sure can but a 5 is going to take more skill and patience to land your fish. I fish a 7wt for Steelies and find this to be perfect for me---then again, I am one who has 6 rods. I like the extra backbone in the 7 wt.

Before you decide on weights and specific rods to look at, ask yourself which streams do you regularly fish. Make a list of them. Then write down which rod you would plan on using on each.

Regardless of what anyone tells you about brands of rods and the specific models the single most important factor aside from price of the rod is how it feels when you cast it. I don't care whether it's a $2 or $2,000 rod, if you don't like the feel of the rod, its not worth the investment. Go to a fly shop and cast these rods. Neshannock Creek or International Angler will both take great care of you. Get 2 rods in the size/wt you're looking for and cast them both. More than likely, you'll have one of the guys watch your casting technique and tell you which you're throwing better loops with.

If you have not yet cast the Sage Launch I'd also add that to the mix if you are considering Sage. I absolutely love that rod for its performance and the ease of casting but the price is also under the Flight Series.

Hope this helps.

They are both good setup's. I've fished with some of the most pricy setups on the market, as well as seeing the high quality that our steel head guide uses, and I'll stick with my LST and SLA setups. I have one for steel heads, one for small native streams and one for the larger streams. I C&R everywhere and I'll keep pace with most out there, with zero setup issues. My opinion, wht spend extra money on a name when you can get a quality setup that stands toe to toe with the pricy names.

Millertime, if it were me, I'd gas up and take a trip to Cabela's in Hamburg. You can test cast all of the rod brands listed below and find the best one for you.

• Cabela's
• Echo
• Fenwick
• G. Loomis
• Redington
• Ross
• Sage
• St. Croix
• Temple Fork Outfitters

Good luck.

Yeah, it is a must. I need to take a drive. I was trying to avoid the 2 hour drive each way to the good ole boys in Wheeling WV.
The wheeling cabelas is a little closer to me.

Will they let me test cast there??

MillerTime wrote

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have heard that you can take a rod out in the parking lot to test cast it.

Millertime wrote:

In the Hamburg store they do. Also, don't for get to take the new reel you just bought, and the line you plan to use also.

Yeah, good call guys . Thanks.

I think I will call Wheeling and ask them.

afishinado wrote:
n the Hamburg store they do. Also, don't for get to take the new reel you just bought, and the line you plan to use also.

They may have a reel for you, but it won't match your line taper (unless you use the Cabela's branded stuff). You'll find that anything out of th eordinary (IE, an anger-inducing sink tip!) won't case nearly as effortlessly as their stuff. :p

Also, you may find yourself having to wait a bit for one of the guys to get freed up, but they've never given me a hard time about casting as many as I wanted to do. They'll only take 3 rods at a time, but they're, I think, as happy to get out of there as anyone else. You'll end up on the side of the building by where the boats are on the grass, where there always seems to be a fair bit of a breeze, too.

Plus, you can watch shoppers dodge your falling backcasts. :)

Back