Douglas Sky G 9' 5 WT: Any opinions?

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

This rod gets glowing reviews on multiple sites. Does anyone have experience fishing it?

CMS from the forum has one and it's fantastic

great rod! I would not describe it as a a big water 5wt . It will certainly do that job just not as well as a Loomis NRX Sage X or Sage One. I would describe it as a crossover 4 to 5wt and would be perfect on Beaverkill size water. Well worth the money. Don't overline it.

Thank you both.

I tested out a 9' 5 WT Sage X and a 9'6" Loomis NRX+ (shop didn't have a 9' in stock) a few days ago during two 4 hour floats on the upper West Branch. I was amazed at how much more accurate my casts were at all distances compared to my long time rod (Sage SP, circa 1990s). I just looked at a target and the fly went there! The dampening technology has really advanced. ?That said, I can't say if the Sky G or Sage X would suit my casting style better. I tend to have a crisp casting stroke and I don't carry a lot of line in the air, preferring to shoot line for distance when needed.

On the long, flat pools where long down and across presentations are important, I also found myself struggling to mend or pick up line after a drift with the Sage SP. The Sage X had no such difficulties.

I did not like the Loomis as much, probably because of the extra half foot of length. It felt heavy and slower than the X. My buddy bought it anyway. I have no doubt the 9' NRX+ has a much lower swing weight compared to its 6" longer brother.

BTW, I have a decent 6 WT I'm happy with that is good for most streamers and indicator nymph rigs. So, the Sage X or Sky G would fill the role of dry fly and dry-dropper fishing at most reasonable distances. The biggest challenge would be casting and straightening 3/4 of a 14' 6x leader on a 60+ foot cast on big water into a headwind.

And, to falcon's point, the line choice matters a lot. I'm tempted to buy a cheap 4 WT line and throw that with the Sage SP to see how it acts.

The biggest challenge would be casting and straightening 3/4 of a 14' 6x leader on a 60+ foot cast on big water into a headwind.

Mike, the average guy has trouble straightening a 10' leader at 25'. LoL. I've fished with you and you are a better caster than most. Suggestion is to throw it 45'-50' and well above the target, rip the slack out putting the fly in the lead and start mending. What concerns me is 6x. In 33 years of fishing the area, not sure I've used 6x a half a dozen times. Big/strong fish, weeds, current....no need to unless you are fishing #22 or smaller. I'm around 75% 4x and will drop to 5x only when necessary. I've caught a few up there :lol:

Sadly I can't speak to the 5wt, but I've got a 9' 4wt SKY-G and it's probably my favorite rod. I remember being shocked by its dampening the first time I really fished it. There's some black (or gunmetal gray) magic there.

Seems perfect for me on Penns Creek, the Willow, and the East Branch and have also enjoyed it on BFC this summer, even in tighter quarters. On bigger sections of the Beaverkill or the West Branch I reach for a 5wt though.

One thing that might be worth considering - my 4wt is stupid light and it needed a stupid light reel to keep it from feeling butt heavy. I got a Hardy UDLA which did the trick.

I hear Douglas makes decent rods. They also own the DSR, so for that reason I'll never own a Douglas product. But in truth I haven't heard anything negative about their products (as much as I hoped I would).

Kray, I'm with you on the tippet size. I rarely reach for 6x. We were fishing with tiny flying ants and olives this past week, on clear, slow moving water.

In contrast, I caught a really nice (22"+) brown this past June when Green Drakes were hatching. I caught her on a #18 Sulphur emerger (because it's the D). I was using 5x. I tend to horse the fish in so I don't play them to death. I loose a few, but I'm fine with that.

Moon, What's DSR? Maybe I care like you do...

DM, Good point about the reel weight.

I rarely use 6x. I have been using 5.5X Trouthunter Mono and it works well for casting a 14 ISO or a 20-22 OLive in the fall. One tippet size for a range of different size flies.

Back