Double Haul

This is one area I feel deficient in my fly fishing. Usually it’s that trip to Florida or the odd stop off at a lake where the lack of far casts becomes evident.

Never really work on it. Something I should put more thought and effort into.

This is one area I feel deficient in my fly fishing. Usually it’s that trip to Florida or the odd stop off at a lake where the lack of far casts becomes evident.

Never really work on it. Something I should put more thought and effort into.
Same. I have an issue with over-exerting the rod on the forward stroke and lowering the rod tip too much (my backstroke is beautiful though!). This cancels out a tremendous amount of forward energy. Not sure if you are doing something similar.

Also getting the right line for the rod that is geared towards distance casting is critical. On my last camping trip I tried to see how far I could punch my 8wt with a RIO Flats Pro Line in 9WF-F (really a 10wt line). I could maybe punch it 85ft. on a slight uphill slope but could not get it to go any further. It was obvious the rod was way over-lined. I have since stepped down to a lighter more true 8wt line that has helped with distance.

Good video. Easy/fun once you get the rhythm. I often practice on my side lot - neighbors think I’m nuts!! No real practical use in my Pa trout exploits. I’m ready for Bonefish though!!

I mean, how far do you actually expect to cast?
Depends on the scenario, but barring ponds, not very far. It is just nice to know that I could really move some line. Some guys in the salt game say that you need to make 100ft. casts to be adequate so take that for what it's worth. I do love picking off bluegill at the end of a 60ft+ cast.

Double hauling is not only used for longer casts. Often, on a smaller stream where my backcast distance is often limited because of tress or bushes behind me, I shorten the line I cast in the air and double haul to shoot line out to my target.

Last edited:
Back