Don't know how you do it

daman1277

daman1277

Ok still learning here so bear with me. But holy crap. Everyday I choose a new fly and tie half a dozen or so in various sizes to get a feel for them. Then the next day I change up the colors. But tonight I chose an easy one again the zebra midges, well started easy. Worked my way down to a size 20. I sware you have to have xray vision to go any smaller.

That is why i have developed my ultimate plan. Since i am young, and i have very good vision, I will tie up a lifetime supply of micro flies, so when i am old and need bifocals *gasp* i dont need to tie anymore :) Crazy-yes, impossible-most likely.

I am only 33. But geez really. Have to get a cheap set of magnifying glasses at wally world lol

I am 15 :) lol. But hey, don't feel bad. Everybody's parts start going at different times. My sister's friend who is 19, already is starting to lose his hair....You just never know. Also, the smaller the pattern, GENERALLY, the simpler the pattern is. So it's not THAT bad.

Saw a guy at an EXPO last year tie an emerger on a size 32

I have been considering this, but I couldn't find any reviews on it. I'm on the fence...

http://store.hookhack.com/Deluxe-Fluorescent-Magnifying-Lamp/productinfo/LAMP003/

I tyed size 24 to 26 (emerger hooks) midges for spring creek. But they are really easy patterns to tye. A super hair wrapped body and peacock 2 turns for a coller. Once you get in a groove you can start knockin them out rather quickly.

I have a magnifier but only use it to look at the finished fly. It gets in the way too much when tying. Don't underestimate the importance of a good light. A lot of what you need to see is contrast, and the light makes a big difference. My wife just bought me an Ott lamp that is just the right size and is very bright but not too harsh. They are a bit expensive but she had a 50% off coupon for the sewing store that sells them.
If you nail the pattern in size 18, you use the same motor skills to tie smaller sizes even if you can't see the detail as well. Anyone can tie great flys below a size 28 since no one can see them to criticize!

My advice after tying for over 40 years start using a magnifier..
Here is one for you a #28 royal coachman.
the other fly is a size 14 for comparison

Attachments

• 12-12-11 017.jpg
    12-12-11 017.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 12-12-11 018.jpg
    12-12-11 018.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-12-11 021.jpg
    12-12-11 021.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 12-12-11 022.jpg
    12-12-11 022.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 2
sandfly wrote:

I agree with sandfly about getting the magnifier. I have the one that is connected to my tying light. My friend bought one from the craft store that you can put on your head and lift the magnifier up when not needed.

That is an impressive royal coachman. I wish I would have gotten one that size when Gfen had his coachman swap. :cool:

How does it fish? I will give that tie a try after Christmas.

FWIW -

I was able to tie #28 flies without glasses until I was 43. Things started getting fuzzy then, and I got my first pair of glasses.
Now at - at age 56 - I need 2.75 power glasses to do it. And I also had to get distance correction for the first time - I started having a hard time seeing rises.
But fishing and tying with bi-focals isn't so bad. Part of getting old I guess.

Sandy - that coachman is something else. Nice tying

I'll be 60 next month. When I was younger and tying everything unaided, I never tied a fly smaller than size #20. Not because I couldn't but rather because there wasn't any place I fished that you needed a fly smaller than that

These days I have my bifocals, which are probably 3X or so in the close work, bottom half of the lens. Then I also have a 2.5 X magnifier lens/lamp. Then for really, really small stuff (which for me means #22-24, the size of the dinky olives and trikes out here in the Midwest), I have a pair of 3X readers I insert behind my bifocals.

This gives me (unless I'm wrong in assuming the magnifications are additive) along with the lamp and bifocals, 8.5X total magnification which makes wrapping a dubbed body of black kapok on a #24 trike look like I'm wrapping a piece of of three inch diameter black chenille around a flag pole.

Lots of light too. I have 60 watts in my magnifier lamp, another 100 watts in the overhead, another 150 watts in the 3-way lamp on the tying table and probably another 150 or so in my little krypton-bulbed reading lamp that I position above the jaws of the vise. 460 watts in all. Light is my friend...

Then, sometimes, I'll only use the table lamp at the low (50 watt) setting, don't use either magnifier or the krypton lamp and also take off my bifocals and then tie a fly. It's always fun to turn on all the lights, put my glasses back on and find out what I've made...

As many have said, 2.5 or 3.0 magnifiera and a good light will do. I tie down to 32 and many of my ties are 22-28 and I'm 63. Just take tour time.

Dale

sandfly wrote:
the other fly is a size 14 for comparison

That is very nice Sandfly! If I could find a #32 hook I would try to tie a dropper go along with it.

Wow Rleep, I am gonna be 39 shortly and it is kinda bummer i am gonna need all that to tie flies :) My Pm feature is not working right...So just want to mention that th "C creek " is doing good went out last weekend and caught one and had some action from a few others. Water had slush on it too but they were still biting a little.
Take care
Greg

Hi Greg..
My PM function is down. Has been for about a month now, despite the able suggestions of several of the mods, all of which I tried.

I wouldn't worry about needing "all" the magnifying and illuminating aid I make use of down the line when you are a bit older (although its pretty much written in stone that you'll need "some" of it). My difficulty is, despite having been a tier for about 45 years, I've always been pretty 10-thumbed at it. I mean, I catch fish on the flies I tie, but a lot of them look like they were tied by a drunk with a strip of duct tape over one eye. So, getting a bit older and having my eyesight lose a little off the top amplified an already existing deficiency in the quality of my art...:)

Probably won't happen to you..

That is a beautiful coachman!!

Sandfly, that's a nice tie.

Here's a 32 Goddard caddis. And before you ask I am not taking any orders.

Attachments

• 010_2 - Copy.JPG
    010_2 - Copy.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice Dave,
I'll take just a 1/2 doz. to fish Asaph..

Back