Don't Forget Your 2007 License

I remember buying my license last year and the being kinda suprised that they asked me for my SSN# when filling out the application. I do not like giving out my SSN to anyone and can not figure out why the state needs it to sell me a fishing license. I refused to give to the gentleman selling it to me and he smiled and said he did the same.

I think that my DL # and name should give them all the info they need.

My rant o the day

When I got my '07 license a few days ago, the agent never asked me for a SSN, he simply wrote refused in the blank on the license. Works for me.

Oh, and the trout stamp would look better colored in. :-D

When I got my license I also asked about the Social Security number. The guy said it's optional, not required. So I opted to leave that line blank.

If you haven't bought your license yet, remember, you don't have to give out your SS#.

The SS# thing is actually both a Federal and State law so it is NOT optional. They use the information so they can suspend the license privileges of dead beat parents. So I guess if you are a non-parent like me you're being penalized for the inaction of others.

The PFBC says "they MAY take appropriate action if the Commission feels the information given is not accurate" which to me sounds like they could care less. When I bought my 2004 licence at the PA Farm Show at the PFBC booth; a snappily attired WCO or other law enforcement official took my info and DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR THE SS#. I hung around for a while and saw a few other folks buy licenses and the same thing happened so I guess the WCO's feel the same way we do.

Here's the link to the OFFICAL position on SS# from the PFBC.

BTW, you can always accidentally make a mistake and give them the wrong SS#. I heard about that happening...some guy I know upstate did that...once, twice, maybe a few other times but I'm not sure...I'll have to call him and ask him.

I agree with everybody about not giving out your SSN, but according to the PGC:

“One of the key benefits of POS will be the issuing of a permanent, unique customer identification number.  Once implemented, this provision will eliminate the need for license buyers to provide their Social Security number beyond the first year of the individual purchasing a license.”

Here’s a link to the full article:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=170033

I just hope they keep their database secure, because now our license number will be tied to tons of personal information and we’ll be walking around display it on our hats, vests or middle of our backs for everybody to see.

Back