Does size really matter?

laszlo

laszlo

Does anyone have one smaller than mine ? Gentlemen show me yours. The newborns are just now starting to take flies. This one was taken in 57 degree water yesterday when it was 95

Attachments

• 40D57241-71C1-45DF-87F7-7DF53E30DCBC.jpeg
    40D57241-71C1-45DF-87F7-7DF53E30DCBC.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 37
Yes - size does matter and if all trout were the size of that “minnow” I wouldn’t bother fishing for them.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture, but I caught 2 little brookies at that 3 inch size. The fly was a Royal Wulff and almost the size of it's head.

Have probably caught smaller over the years but memory is blurry between what ate a fly vs what I would catch in a dip net as a kid. Here's one I could find quickly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-150448.png
    Screenshot_20220725-150448.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I think that's the smallest trout I've ever seen that took a fly, literally.
I just measured my hand and based on that measurement, that brookie was 2-1/2" :)

The irony of all of this is I recently got into micro fishing. I'm using tiny 24-32 subsurface flies or bait on minuscule tanago hooks with a dedicated micro fishing rod from Japan using 7X & 8X tippet for my line.

It may sound crazy but when I only have an hour or two to kill this time of year, I have a blast catching dinky dace, compact chubs and small-scale shiners on this rig.

I'm still working on catching the elusive 2 centimeter long fish. ;)

I just measured my hand and based on that measurement, that brookie was 2-1/2" :)

The irony of all of this is I recently got into micro fishing. I'm using tiny 24-32 subsurface flies or bait on minuscule tanago hooks with a dedicated micro fishing rod from Japan using 7X & 8X tippet for my line.

It may sound crazy but when I only have an hour or two to kill this time of year, I have a blast catching dinky dace, compact chubs and small-scale shiners on this rig.

I'm still working on catching the elusive 2 centimeter long fish. ;)

I'm about to do some micro fishing too. Trying to figure out what species are in a little stream near me. I suspect some dace and sculpin. Maybe some chubs. I ordered 2 different size photariums to get some photos. I'm pretty excited about it. I haven't ventured into the super micro hooks yet. Just using sz 22 daiichi w/ a tiny piece of worm.

Does anyone have one smaller than mine ? Gentlemen show me yours. The newborns are just now starting to take flies. This one was taken in 57 degree water yesterday when it was 95
We should start a thread for smallmouth under 8" in length while we're at it. That seems to be a fairly popular thing also.

Hand measured my monster was about 2.5" as well.

Without pictures some of these posts would sound really bad!

20220726 141903

Oddly, the little guy I posted was the one and only trout I caught that particular day. The stream I was fishing was very low, but it kept me from the dreaded skunk. ;)

Back