Does anyone make a 100' WF warmwater fly line that doesn't cost over $ 1.00 per foot?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

The question is pretty much self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.

I have some older 7, 8, and 9 weight floating fly lines that need to be replaced. They are on reels that are loaded with 105-foot lines. I can find plenty of 80- or 90-foot lines, but if I put one of them on the reels, I'll look like a doofus that can't fill a reel.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Board,

The question is pretty much self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.

I have some older 7, 8, and 9 weight floating fly lines that need to be replaced. They are on reels that are loaded with 105-foot lines. I can find plenty of 80- or 90-foot lines, but if I put one of them on the reels, I'll look like a doofus that can't fill a reel.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Regards,

Add more backing

Add more backing
Dear sixfootfenwick,

Why, it's never seen water unless it's been rained on?

I'm more PO'ed that you have to pay 100% more for less line than you used to, even if it's the same exact line. I guess that's what comes about when a 7 weight needs to become an 8 or 9 weight so goofs can cast it.

I miss Cortland lines from when they only made 3 of them, 333, 444, and 444SL. Now you need to buy the specific line for the GPS coordinates for your region depending of course on the rod you are casting, and the water temperature, and the wind direction, and the ................

It's a fly line, you can either cast it or buy a new rod that you can't cast with either.

Rant over! ;)

Regards,

Dear sixfootfenwick,

Why, it's never seen water unless it's been rained on?

I'm more PO'ed that you have to pay 100% more for less line than you used to, even if it's the same exact line. I guess that's what comes about when a 7 weight needs to become an 8 or 9 weight so goofs can cast it.

I miss Cortland lines from when they only made 3 of them, 333, 444, and 444SL. Now you need to buy the specific line for the GPS coordinates for your region depending of course on the rod you are casting, and the water temperature, and the wind direction, and the ................

It's a fly line, you can either cast it or buy a new rod that you can't cast with either.

Rant over! ;)

Regards,

I hear you and dont disagree.

Here is a suggestion. Try searching those vintage lines on Ebay. I just did a quick search of Cortland 444 SL and found a spool of 35 yards for 36 dollars with the shipping

They might not make them anymore but people still have them.

Other than that, your options are:

Buy less for more, put on more backing and don't look like a fool.

Buy less for more, don't put on more backing and look like a fool.

Quit fishing and save all the hassle.

I only say this, not to be a jerk but to lay out the options. I don't like the direction fly lines have gone either but I can't control them. All I can do is solve my issues with what is presented before me.

Last edited:
Maxcatch ECO lines are 100' and inexpensive, less than $20. I've used a few of them with no complaints. I'd say they compare favorably to $50-ish lines from Cortland, Rio, SA, etc.

Maxcatch ECO lines are 100' and inexpensive, less than $20. I've used a few of them with no complaints. I'd say they compare favorably to $50-ish lines from Cortland, Rio, SA, etc.
That's good to know too. I wonder, do they hold up as long?

you look like a doofus for not filling a reel? ok.

That's good to know too. I wonder, do they hold up as long?
My oldest is 3-1/2 years old, looking good and performing well. It is on my streamer rod which doesn't get fished as much as my 5 weights.

I know that I've fished $80-100 lines longer than I should have because they were $80-100 lines. With these less expensive lines, I would have no problem swapping them out once they show signs of failure.

Tim:

IF you are lucky enough to find several 100 foot fly lines at a reasonable price and they DON'T last as long as what you replaced, you will be asking this same question again in a year...

So, if I was you I would do one of the following:

1. Save your original post so you can ask the same question again in a year.​
2. Buy 90 foot lines, a Tilley hat and wear a fully loaded 20 clip lanyard so you REALLY look like a doofus.​
3. Suck it up, add more backing and buy the 444 peach or the 333 "All Purpose."​

Good luck and send me a photo if you choose #2. ;)

I hear you and dont disagree.

Here is a suggestion. Try searching those vintage lines on Ebay. I just did a quick search of Cortland 444 SL and found a spool of 35 yards for 36 dollars with the shipping

They might not make them anymore but people still have them.

Other than that, your options are:

Buy less for more, put on more backing and don't look like a fool.

Buy less for more, don't put on more backing and look like a fool.

Quit fishing and save all the hassle.

I only say this, not to be a jerk but to lay out the options. I don't like the direction fly lines have gone either but I can't control them. All I can do is solve my issues with what is presented before me.
Dear sixfootfenwick,

I agree with what you wrote and do know the options are limited. I'm just kind of mad because I actually ordered two 100' fly lines and received two 80' fly lines instead. I have the printed order confirmation that says 100' versions for each line. Now I have to return them and either see if they can get the 100' lines for me or get a credit for them. Had my order been correct I would have never made my original post.

Regards,

Dear sixfootfenwick,

I agree with what you wrote and do know the options are limited. I'm just kind of mad because I actually ordered two 100' fly lines and received two 80' fly lines instead. I have the printed order confirmation that says 100' versions for each line. Now I have to return them and either see if they can get the 100' lines for me or get a credit for them. Had my order been correct I would have never made my original post.

Regards,

I recently ordered an SA Frequency that showed an older box and 100'. I received the current box and 85'.

Dear sixfootfenwick,

Regards,

I'd be a bit peeved too.
As consumers we should always get what was advertised and we then paid for.

Last edited:
I'll look when I get home but I believe I have a NOS Cortland Rocket Taper Glo line in Red DT9F.
I'll see if it's 35 yards. It might be. If it is I can send it to you if you want.
Might cover your 9wt need.

I already have that line on 2 different spools. I like it.

Last edited:
Well I misspoke, it's 30 yds. My apologies.

Well I misspoke, it's 30 yds. My apologies.
Dear sixfootfenwick,

Thanks for trying! I returned the fly lines I bought today. They confirmed that the 100' versions are no longer available and refunded my money. I finally dug through my gear locker and found a brand-new Cortland 444 WF8 bass line still in the original box. I found a 105' Airflo WF7 floating line at Sierra Trading Post on close-out. If I get the 7 and 8 weights set up with new lines, I'll be OK because I also found a brand-new Cortland WF9 Pike and Musky that I forgot I had while rummaging around!

So, in the end my rant served a purpose! I'll call that a win!

Regards,

Dear sixfootfenwick,

Thanks for trying! I returned the fly lines I bought today. They confirmed that the 100' versions are no longer available and refunded my money. I finally dug through my gear locker and found a brand-new Cortland 444 WF8 bass line still in the original box. I found a 105' Airflo WF7 floating line at Sierra Trading Post on close-out. If I get the 7 and 8 weights set up with new lines, I'll be OK because I also found a brand-new Cortland WF9 Pike and Musky that I forgot I had while rummaging around!

So, in the end my rant served a purpose! I'll call that a win!

Regards,

So I guess that means no photos of you looking like doofus will be forthcoming...?

So I guess that means no photos of you looking like doofus will be forthcoming...?
Dear Bamboozle,

I look like a doofus a lot but don't stop to take pictures as proof. ;)

Regards,

Oddly, if they cast worse past 50' then there is no reason to make them 100' and if the premium lines cast better after 50' they should make them longer.

Many Airflo lines and Cortland Trout Boss are 2 I know of off hand that are 100'

Back