Dodson fly

M

melvinp

Were would you put the all mighty hellgrammite on your tree of bugs and flying critters.I see lots of other bugs on here but never any info on a hellgy.

just the males were out, now the trout are on top. females are out now, thick there, have 4-10 guys in the building there..

melvinp wrote:
Were would you put the all mighty hellgrammite on your tree of bugs and flying critters.I see lots of other bugs on here but never any info on a hellgy.

Right up on top on the tree of bugs in river and streams that have them (many do) for trout, but especially smallies.

Hellgrimite patterns really work well. Fish a black, dark olive or brown bugger where helgies hide and smallies swim....Kaaawok!.......fish on!

I love 'em - they're near the top of my list.

Of course, helgrammites are mainly associated with bass fishing and - at least in my experience - are much more numerous in warmer rivers. I fish with helgy nymph flies frequently, esp in the early to mid summer months. As Afishinado said, a dark marabou fly will hammer bass. I personally prefer more accurate patterns. The pic below shows a couple naturals with one of my nymphs.
I don't bother with imitating the adults although I suppose it might make for some good fishing under certain circumstances.

Attachments

• Would the Real Helgys Please Stand Up.jpg
    Would the Real Helgys Please Stand Up.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 5
That fly is my second favorite of yours next to your mouse. It's pretty spot on and I'm sure slays the smallies.

That is a very nice pattern,All you need is that funky smell.

I'd put them in the mean as heck tree.

btw, it Dobson Fly.

DOBSON

Back