Do fly shops still sell U.S. tied flies?

Tiogadog

Admittedly, I do not buy many flies these days (probably less than five a year) so I am uninformed on this question. Essentially, I am wondering if PA fly shops still sell flies tied by local/ domestic tiers. Most shops I frequent sell flies from Umpqua, Solitude, Montana Fly, Rio, etc. I know shops like Flyfisher's Paradise used to sell locally tied flies.

What does everyone else see these days? Do you notice a difference in quality?

T

Dear Tiogadog,

I have a guide friend who I know ties flies for a shop in PA. I also know some other tyers who sell flies to other PA fly shops. With the variety of fly patterns changing almost daily and need to keep inventory on hand I do think it would be difficult to only sell USA made flies unless the fly selections were more limited.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I'm sure it varies greatly by location....

Asking the shop owner will get the most accurate information however I would almost guarantee the majority of the files in the shops are outsourced and tied overseas with quality being better than it was when the outsourcing first began.

I assume that is because it is easier and probably less expensive than trying to find local tiers who can supply all of the patterns fly angler expect to find in a fly shop today. It may have been different 20+ years ago but now there are new patterns popping up daily.

The last fly shop I frequented with a majority of locally tied flies was the long gone Eyler's in Bryn Mawr. That was mainly because the owner of the shop spent just about every day and all day tying flies when he wasn't waiting on customers.

I occasionally find a shop where a few patterns are tied locally, but I couldn't tell you where and how long ago.

Admittedly, I do not buy many flies these days (probably less than five a year) so I am uninformed on this question. Essentially, I am wondering if PA fly shops still sell flies tied by local/ domestic tiers. Most shops I frequent sell flies from Umpqua, Solitude, Montana Fly, Rio, etc. I know shops like Flyfisher's Paradise used to sell locally tied flies.

What does everyone else see these days? Do you notice a difference in quality?

T
This doesn’t answer your question, but Dan Bailey’s in Livingston, MT was arguably the best known fly shop tying their own flies in the years prior to Dan Bailey’s death in 1982. This picture shows the women tying flies behind Dan facing the wall, but later (I believe) the rows of women were relocated near the window where passer’s by could stop outside to see them tie.

IMG_4347.jpeg

The wall in Bailey’s fly shop, known as the Wall of Fame, also showed silhouettes of trout that were caught locally, each of which were 4# or better. At one point there were silhouettes of 300 trout on the wall.

Last edited:
I know shops like Flyfisher's Paradise used to sell locally tied flies.
They still do.

They still do.

I have been in Flyfishers Paradise many times and the owner / employees were almost always busy tying flies. At the very least they tie the local favorites there

Jonas at Feathered Hook used to have a pretty large network of local tyers he used. Not sure what % of the inventory that accounted for and the conversation i'm referring too was probably 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious how fly tying ranks as a cottage industry. I see more and more people selling flies via Instagram, etc.

I think most shops will have local tied flies that are specific to their region but the bulk flies in the big bins come from Africa.
I never knew that. I always suspected China or Viet Nam.

I have been in Flyfishers Paradise many times and the owner / employees were almost always busy tying flies. At the very least they tie the local favorites there
yes, as others wrote they tie a lot of flies in shop, I remember they contract out to some local tiers, and order others. Those used in PA tend to be tied in shop and on contract with locals. You can ask if you are concerned.

yes, as others wrote they tie a lot of flies in shop, I remember they contract out to some local tiers, and order others. Those used in PA tend to be tied in shop and on contract with locals. You can ask if you are concerned.
oh, one more thing. They will tie "to order" if you want something different or a variation they don't have. There might be a minimum and I don't know turn around times

I stop by the Penns Creek shops early every year to load up on March Browns, Green Drakes, and other big hackled flies for use on the Upper Delaware. Some of the finest local ties I've seen.

Mark C

Jonas at Feathered Hook used to have a pretty large network of local tyers he used. Not sure what % of the inventory that accounted for and the conversation i'm referring too was probably 12 years ago
Pretty sure he still employs a lot of local tyers

Back