DIY wading boot stud input

I ran the kold kutters back in the 70's on my sleds and bikes but found the hardware store ones work just as good and are a lot cheaper.
wonder how much noise those bars make compared to screws...plus the flex on the boot or feel of the bottom.

For us DIYers, how many do you attach to the bottom? How far apart do you space them?

Don

What are the best hardware store screws to get?

I got some at the hardware store and they wore down quickly, and so provided less traction, and also many pulled out in short time.

Railking wrote:
I also have Simms freestones but I added my own studs in mine. 1/4 inch cold kutter ice racing studs are awesome. You can pick them up on eBay for about $20 per 200 studs. I'm not sure how they would work with Korkers because of the thin removable sole. If you weren't worried about removing the sole, you could screw them in through the interchangeable sole and into the boot. There are a few posts on here about the Cold Kutter studs if you search for it.

Ditto

Kold Kutters > Hardware Hex screws.

I have used both and the hardware screws wear down much quicker

And when those screws loose their edge they get very dangerous.
The Kold Kutters will out last those cheap hex screws by a long shot...
I put the cold cutter screws. in my Korkers felt soles and they do not reach through the sole.

Back