DIY Spool Hands

delta_dog wrote:
Nice job wsender! I like the shrink tube. I've been making these for years for my tying spools but never thought about it for tippet. These are really helpful for tying. I got tired of having loose wire, mylar and lead wire all over my desk , plus theres no waste.

DD, super idea, can you give some direction on your thread spool concept? I love it. Someone mention a DIY forum, really great idea.

It's the same thing wsender uses for tippet spools the only thing I do different is I use wooden beads and scuff them up a little so the zapagap holds better.

Couple of questions OP

The tippet goes through the beads. Do the beads have an abrasive inside that may shred the tippet?

By tightening down the rubber bands and applying to the bead and adding the shrink tube, does that apply pressure to the actual tippet on the spool that by pulling it out for use it may come out slower than usual?

I think its a great idea by the way and I commend your DIYness.

Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:
Couple of questions OP

The tippet goes through the beads. Do the beads have an abrasive inside that may shred the tippet?

By tightening down the rubber bands and applying to the bead and adding the shrink tube, does that apply pressure to the actual tippet on the spool that by pulling it out for use it may come out slower than usual?

I think its a great idea by the way and I commend your DIYness.

Yes the tippet goes through the bead. The beads seem to be generally smooth on the inside. Ideally, I was looking for something like this.
31zTPLLdTrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Something really vanilla. Like plastic beads you give kids to craft with. I couldn't find them in the CF that is Michael's, so I found the ones used in the tutorial and they work plenty fine.

I would say that the reduction of speed with which tippet can be removed is negligible to minimal. Because it's cloth elastic, it glides over the tippet very nicely providing a nice smooth draw. A lot better than when you pull off tippet too quickly at too much comes off.

Also, I wanted to add that I'm sorry I haven't been able to get the CDC Petitjean Magic tool tutorial up sooner. I've been really busy with school work this week and my goal is to shoot the tutorial tomorrow and get it up over the weekend or Monday at the latest.

Its a great idea. I hate when tippet comes unraveled and is everywhere.

Back