DIY Nipigon, Ontario

Porter Airways have a one day sale today, so i booked it.

US$370 rtn to Thunder Bay from Newark NJ, June 11 to 15.

Am going to Hit the Nipigon for Brookies and Coasters, and the Jackpine and Steel Rivers near Terrace Bay for steelhead.

First night i'm booking an evening walk and wade trip to fish #2 salmonflies for big brookies.

I'd check to be sure youy can diy? I believe you need a guide to fish in Canada. At least hat was true on my last trip. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
I'd check to be sure youy can diy? I believe you need a guide to fish in Canada. At least hat was true on my last trip. GG

Not so.

There are a few provinces where that is true - and at that, I think it's only for certain watersheds.
When I vacationed in the northeast area of canada, I wanted to take a shot at some atlantic salmon fishing. And one place I could legally go DIY was on the margaree river in nova scotia

dryflyguy wrote:
gulfgreyhound wrote:

Not so.

There are a few provinces where that is true - and at that, I think it's only for certain watersheds.
When I vacationed in the northeast area of canada, I wanted to take a shot at some atlantic salmon fishing. And one place I could legally go DIY was on the margaree river in nova scotia

NS is apopular choice for atlantics for that reason - in Quebec you need a Guide for Salmon, but not for trout. though in mixed streams all fishing requires a guide.

Due to the weather changes i have adapted my plans a little - ice out is usually the first week of April but predictions are for it to be mid May this year :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/lake-superior-ice-could-stick-around-until-mid-may-1.2621643

which will mean my June 12 trip is right on the shoulder of the main Steelhead run this year...

so i'll be fishing for big brookies morning and late, and for steel during the day.

I just got back from Thunder Bay Last night - i got my PB wild brookie of 14" whilst steelheading but no steel...

Nipigon is pretty much a bust below Alexander Dam, I found one short stretch that i could fish for an hour or so and a rip rap bank stretch on the Indian Reservation that i could of fished for maybe another hour or two, and looked promising but lightning storms sent me home.

I think its better with a boat and guide sadly.

Jackpine was a nice river, but very little holding water. trail on the Steel was non-existent - real bushwacking through primeval forest and scrub.

I did find another river and saw two steelhead caught, but was asked by other anglers there not to name it.

new CPX 1137-4 switch rod performed like a gem.

i was fishing soft seams and the tail ends of pools. it seems that with the water temps of 40F the fish were actually in the riffles...

The area was very scenic and the people nice, but not sure if I'll go back for steelhead yet - Porter airlines, though very cheap was a bit of a nightmare. It seems as if the Georgian Bay rivers near Toronto (Credit, Bighead etc.) might be an easier bet from Philly.

Cheers

Mark.

Back