diy cancun?

T

thesmayway

I've got a flats guide booked in late June when my wife and i go for vacation but only one day. we'll be staying north of town in playa mujeres. have any of you fished from the beach successfully? one day of fishing won't cut it for me and I'd like to occupy myself on the beach. if so, can you recommend times/tides, flies, etc?

are you going to Isla Mujeres? I have not fished there but I have fished a bit South of there. 1 1/2 hours driving South of Cancun.
Bonefish and permit on my own. If you are willing to go that far I can help.

GenCon

We're staying at Excellence Playa Mujeres which is north of Cancun. I'm fishing Isla Blanca flats with a guide north of Cancun. It'll be tough to convince my wife that we need to go down into the really great flats (Ascension Bay) or anywhere outside of the hotel area outside of this scheduled trip for that matter... so I'm hoping to fish from the beach if it's doable. Thanks for any insight you can give.

Yea, I have no experience in the Cancun area. Just south of there. You don't really need to go as far South as ascension bay. But you would have to drive about 1 1/2 hrs. The fish there are easy to catch. Not like Fla. keys bonefish. They are not big fish but plenty of them. I used dime size crab size flys for bones and permit. There are many under ground fresh water springs which bubble up on the ocean edges. Usually around rock piles. If you can find one you are in luck. Permit will stage around them and bonefish will cruise the shore in front of them.
During the middle of the incoming tide the permit will cruise the edge of the beach. Finding a spring is the key. Ask the locals. They will know where they are. If any in your area. I have stood in one spot and cast to crusing bones and permt for 2 hours or more. The permit will come right into the wash. They swim by going one way then come back sometimes on their sides in real skinny water. One day I hooked 5 permit in about 30 mins. Landed 3 of them. Also that day I caught 4 or 5 bonefish. Most of the permit I saw were small 5 to maybe 7 lbs. But have seen some real monsters. Like in the 30lb range. If you have any interest in trying the area I was fishing let me know. I will tell you how to get there. It is real easy to find.

Good luck,

GenCon

Back