DIY Bonefish

wbranch

wbranch

Have any PAflyfish members ever done a DIY bonefish trip to any of the Bahamian Islands? Specifically the outer, less frequented, islands like Cat and Acklin or any of the lesser publicized? I've bonefished the Bahamas three times and done well but would like to consider a DIY so I could fish more and spend more time on the flats. Virtually every lodge doesn't start the motors before 8:00 in the morning and by the time you make your first cast it could be 9:00. Then if you are partnering with a guide and not wading you have to take turns on the deck casting. so i f you are really lucky you might get four hours of really fishing. If any members might be interested in joining me on such a trip PM me. I have hundreds of bonefish flies that I would be willing to share. Thanks in advance. I do know of one operation called Chez Pierre that sounds very interesting.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g148424-d267813-Reviews-Chez_Pierre_Bahamas-Long_Island_Out_Islands_Bahamas.html

Spent a week on San Salvador (Columbus Island) . It wasn’t a fishing trip per se but did get some fishing in. I caught 1 bonefish wading Pigeon creek on a fly. Caught a barracuda and several jacks in the ocean on spin tackle. I saw quite a few bonefish but they saw me at about the same one I saw them, that scenario doesn’t end well. No commercial guide services that I was aware of but this was nearly 20 years ago and things may have changed. Not sure it’s what you had in mind but it is definitely DIY.

If you're not locked in to the Bahamas, I'd suggest considering Belize. I've fished there on two occasions at El Pescador Lodge, north of San Pedro town, a 12 minute flight from Belize City. Expensive but a great fishing lodge.

My last trip was this past Feb. My primary objective was to get out of the cold for a few days, but also to try my luck at DIY bonefishing. Stayed at the Hilton Curio Mahogany Bay Resort, just south of San Pedro town. Very affordable. There are a series of canals on the property that hold juvenile tarpon and barracuda. Got one hook up and a jump, and caught a couple of barracuda. The resort also has a private beach and runs boat shuttles during the day. Lots of flats to wade. Caught my first two bonefish on my own there.

Also tried along the beach flats near the hotel. Weather conditions in Feb were not ideal; it was warm but quite windy, making visability difficult. I did manage to catch two bonefish blind casting off of a pier, one went 15 inches, the second a good 18.

I did book a guide for a half day trip ($400). He poled around for about two hours w/o a sighting. The last hour he stopped at a 10-12 foot channel and I caught 11 fish in about an hour. Not as much fun as sight fishing, but they pull just as hard.

Delta and Southwest fly into Belize City once a day. Very affordable airfares (A round trip first class ticket on Delta cost me $700 ... worth every penny) From there you take a puddle jumper to San Pedro. There are plenty of affordable lodging options in San Pedro. Food and beverages also very reasonably priced. Folks there like Americans. I think the further north you go from San Pedro the better sight fishing you'll have. I'd also recommend at least one day with a guide. You may not catch many big fish, but you'll catch a lot of fish.

Hope this helps.

ccfelker,

Thank you for all that information. I like the Bahamas because it isn't as long a flight as Central America. But I will look into all your info. My experience in Mexico was that the bones are much smaller than the Bahamian bonefish. But Belize is further south and probably a different fishery.

Look at the travel and adventure section under Andros.

W.Branch
1)I stayed at Chez Pierre on L.I. in Bahamas about 10 years ago.Food was fabulous.The beach out front is just OK bone fish water but really pounded by visiting anglers.
2)While at LI if you go to the Tiki Bar area,there are Americans who have houses there that are sometimes looking for guys to fish with just for company.i was lucky and found a gent from N.Spain and i fished with him for 4 days and wouldn't take a cent.I did give him my TnT 4 piece 9wt.
3)also check out some of the lodges near the Tiki Bar,sometime you can negotiate a great price witha guide who isn't booked

4)In 2000 I went to Eleutera on a solo do it your self 4 day trip caught a respectable # of bones wading,but only blind casting.
Did manage to catch a dandy permit near the south airport runway but planes were flying overhead and it was very noisy

5))I've been fishing in Andros,Crooked Island(twice),Nassau,Long Island (4 times) but all guided trips over the years

Give me a call and I can give you much more information that might be helpful
Regards,
Tom

Back