Dissertation on Brook Trout, The Delaware Water Gap, and a Big Flood

k-bob

k-bob

some interesting ideas here:

http://aura.antioch.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1187&context=etds

Only 116 pages? Wow, they got off easy.

ok but the idea that there are good thermal stretches in some dwgnra streams is interesting:

https://fishinthefield.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/where-the-pool-stops/

The wordpress link didn't work for me.

Can you summarize what interesting point(s) you found in the paper in the OP?

I did read most of it, but found it a tough slog.

text from wordpess link in post #3:

"Where the pool stops"

"There is one stream in the Delaware Water Gap National Rec Area that is the coldest in the park. Conashaugh Creek at the northern side of the PA side. It comes steep through several deep ravines and when it hits the flat piece of topography about a kilometer above the Delaware River it dips underground for a few hundred meters before coming puddling back out for the last downhill bit. It’s off a side road (that is now closed from flood damage) and as far as I can tell no one really goes back there except for a few horses (and their people). All of these reasons make Conashaugh The-Greatest-Stream-In-The-Park.

For being largely spring fed and with all that underground flow, Conashaugh generally stays in a range of 7-12C. This year, a hot droughty year, it made it all the way to 15C in one section. Most streams in the park are topping 18-21C, which is a big difference when you’re a brook trout (who must migrate out of a stream, find a deep cold pool, or die around 23C). Going underground makes a huge difference.

(image here)

That pool is about 1.5km from where it meets the Delaware, is about 8ft deep, frigid in the middle of summer, and doesn’t resurface for another 500m+.

The pool in the picture above amazes me. It’s deep, cold, and there is a significant amount of water flowing into it. But there is no outflow. It just stops. Right there. The start of an underground stream. Geology is kind of amazing like that: the water doesn’t just diffuse everywhere underground (like I think it should), it still moves along like a stream, flowing in the same way that it does above ground.

It used to be that Conashaugh was the only stream that did that. This year, however, several other streams have joined Conashaugh in going underground for a short way. Although these new underground streams are less by natural ability and more as the result of (you guessed it) last fall’s flood.

For example, let’s take a look at Dingmans Creek:
(images)

Where’s the stream? Or rather, where’s the hillside that used to be there?

Mary is standing where a 15ft wide stream used to be. There also used to be a tree-ed hillside behind her. Well, we can see where the trees went. Here’s a pulled back view:

Well… it sure is flat.

And so, Dingmans Creek now has its own groundwater (sort of). Mostly because the ground covered over it. I can assure you, though, that it does come out the other side again. We didn’t measure the temp on the downstream side, but it sure felt quite a bit cooler. And therein lies the tricky part about working in ecology, or just about any of the sciences where you actually work with nature outside: everything is a trade-off. Yes, the hillside collapsed and caused some massive erosion and damage, but there is now a lot of large woody debris (trees and limbs and whatnot) in the stream which are excellent for habitat, in-stream nutrients, and food resources. Yes, the stream is now buried and fragmented, and to anyone walking by it looks entirely dead, but the water is just underground where it can get cool again, which is better for the fish (or at least the fish I’m studying).

A similar thing happens in a stream further south called Spackmans.

(image)

Quite the pool, and the debris jam.

Hill collapse. Tree jam. Buried and gone for just under 50m before coming out the other side. Just at the end of the pool."

the dissertation covers thermal issues and a big flood in some DWGNRA streams as they affect brook trout populations and genetics. I dont have the background to follow the genetic info on brookies before and after the flood. I found it interesting that some DWGNRA streams have cold stretches due to groundwater inputs.

The groundwater/surfacewater exchange described here is a well accepted phenomenon of hydrogeomorphology and stream ecology. A moderate amount of ecological disturbance is generally considered beneficial to the ecology of a stream as it creates fresh surfaces, promoting diversity.

ok interesting that there are some good thermal stretches for brookies in the water gap, where many streams get warm. also streams were studied above and below waterfalls. some of the stream stretches with brookies are truly tiny and tough to fish, though.

There is a dam at the headwaters of Conashaugh Creek Creek that warms the creek otherwise it is possible it would be colder. Many of those streams have impoundments on them either up on the Plateau or down from the headwaters a bit. For instance Raymondskill has several impoundments, that according to my fishing experience, has no fish in it at all below those impoundments. At least I've walked along the stream and fished it a couple of times and saw nothing moving in the water. Below the falls, there are supposed to be trout, but I have doubts.
Dingmans has for as long as I remember had a section down at Rt. 209 that sinks, it comes up again below the road and meanders on to the river from the point it pops up again to the river. There are wild trout down there. Saw Kill has trout down to the river and I've caught brookies pretty far down. It stays above the ground.
Hornbecks Creek also sinks, I'm pretty sure most people would drive past it if they saw it at Rt. 209. Below the falls there, the fish are few, I can't say what it's like above the falls. It's a nice stream when the waters there, but most years the water just sinks nearly up to the falls.
Toms Creek is a well know brownie stream that is tough fishing but fun. like Hornbecks, Toms has impoundments at the top of the Plateau.
The floodplain of the Delaware through that section of the River can be as deep as 300 feet with glacial debris, that's the reason the streams tend to sink when water gets low, they get down to the level of one of the terraces and because the terrace is sediment from glaciers the water drops below the substrate. The sinking of the streams to the substrate allows them to cool, but someone else has already said that.
It's all quite interesting, I just wish some of those impoundments would simply disappear.

Back