Disapointing day on the Potomac

buggerfly

buggerfly

We put in at Brunswick last Fri. afternoon at about three and motored up a mile or two to the lower area of the rock garden where we waded. The conditions were against us. Air temps in the 90's, water temp seemed to be in the mid 80's, water level was rising from the recent storms with lots of foam, disloged grass and dried algae floating. Water color green with about 2 1/2 feet of visabilty. We fished until dark. I got the skunk. Leo caught 4 small bass dead drifting a crystal bugger on the bottom and 2 small ones on a popper in the evening. Very few bugs, a few small light colored mayflys in the evening, fewer rises. It was bleak and disapointing, considering some of the great days I've had there. Was it just a bad day or is the Potpmac really that bad?

Dan

The Potomac isn't that bad. I went Saturday and I got skunked too. The river was up and dirty (1 foot visibility). Earlier last week I was banging smallies left and right. They are there, it's just a matter of right river conditions and finding the location of active fish.

Back