DIRT CHEAP REELS, RECOMMENDATIONS NEEDED!

F

flyfish10

hi all,

my brother works at sports authority and is getting huge savings this sunday for only 3 hours, 75% and more, and i was looking at the reels they sell since the drag broke on mine this past season. they sell pfluger trion's and presidents, okuma helios, and albright gpx's, all reels well over 100 bucks without the savings. i was wondering if anyone had any input on the four i listed, good/bad, recomendations, experiences? anything at all that would make one stand out over the other. thanks.

i would suggest the Tica Fishmaster. I have 2 of them, for my 2wt and 4wt. The drag on them is amazing. Cant go wrong with it. Although that president reel looks really sexy as well. Though i cant vouch for its performance.

flyfish10 wrote:
pfluger trion's and presidents, okuma helios, and albright gpx's,

Of the ones you mentioned...just looking them up, they are practically the same...I have only experience with the Okuma (they make Cabela's reels). How much are you getting one for? $50 is 75% off $200...I don't think you can go wrong with any of them at that price.

I own a pfluegar trion which i have on my 4 wt. i like the reel very much as it has served me for several seasons now with no problems whatsoever. i have landed 22+ in. fish on it which my rod didn't live through but the reel never missed a beat. typically on a 4wt i don't get to test out the drag too much as i'm catching fish in the 6-14 inch range but when i needed it to be there it worked tremendously.

i have heard really good things about the helios and own an okuma integrity which is great, but i can't speak directly to the helios' performance.

this is too late but i would have went with the Helios

thanks for the input fellas, your not too late crotalus, tom's the day, i think im gonna go with the helios. i wonder if orvis or okuma know that they have a rod and reel of the same name.

I own two okuma helios, one 3/4 for my 2wt and 4/5 for my 5weight. I like them both smooth reels and i also use it for striper fishng here in texas as well.I think the drag is pretty good, u dont have to really tighten it for it to work good. I have no problem with it after 1year of use.

Orvis=Helio's----Okuma=Helio's
Orvis did this before and got in trouble, all depends who brought what out before the other...or if it patented..

Bought three Okuma Magnitude reels and they are junk. They have a plastic molded part in the clutch which has a defective mold line that cracks. Before I'd buy another Okuma I'd take it apart and examine the design.

Back