Different colors on royal wulffs

Corman58

Corman58

Has anyone ever tried tying royal wulffs with different color's than red? I recently have been using them alot and have had some success with the ones that i have tied. i might experiment and tie a couple with orange, pink, purple and see what happens.

I really like Wulff patterns, especially with chartreuse. Let us know how you do with any of those other colors.

TC

I have tied them in chartreuse, blue and yellow just to break the boredom. Trout don't seem to care so I stay with the standard.

Sacrilege! LOL

GenCon

Beyond sacrilege. :-o

Attachments

• Fox  G.B.F..jpg
    Fox G.B.F..jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
There are a lot of variations on the wulff patterns already. I don't know what the crap that thing is, Ed!

I do tie mine with orange calf body hair for wings, just for visibility sometimes. Other than that, I stick to the "original"

Years ago, Steve at the lodge in Oleona told me that an orange bodied one was the hot fly for the area. I caught plenty of fish on the original so I never tried any though.

Color matters little, its the profile that the fish see.

Color matters little, its the profile that the fish see.

H A I like that allot

I also tie some of mine with hi-vis wings. Let's me extend my fishing time a bit longer.

I don't know what the crap that thing is, Ed!

It started out as a joke, but brookies like it.

Of course, they'll eat anything....

Proof that one should not drink excessively when tying flies. :lol:

Chartreuse or caddis green is great on Pine Creek. They take the original but seem to like the chartreuse/green better.

thanks for all the insight guys. I tied an orange one this morning and im gonna try it out. ill try and post a pic of a few when i have them done

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Well, only because of the lack of buck tail for tail and wings, really.

Other than that, you're simply colour blind. I understand that happens with age, though.

gfen wrote:
...you're simply colour blind.

At least I can spell the word "color" correctly. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Proof that one should not drink excessively when tying flies. :lol:

Well that just ain't true son. :pint: :pint:

Caught multiple trout on one with an orange body segment today. I guess presentation trumps colors for the most part but it does help to see the fly better on the water.

The last one isnt on a royal. Just figured id post a picture of a really nice brookie

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
Heritage-Angler wrote:
That'll catch brookies.

I tie a #24 with a light cahill thread in the mid-section. All my others I use 2 hackles, one grizzly and one brown. The original had moose mane tails.

Back