Deleware River Frustration ..

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Tried fishing for smallies on the Del near Yardley and had a hard time of it. On this board I’ve read abt the smallie action and considering how close it is to me (never really tried fishing it), I decided to give it a real shot.

Found it tough to wade,and fish in general. After a bunch of hrs frustration set in and I spent a few more hours on the Neshaminy for some fun cool, late summer action. The Del just seems very challenging without some type of boat or float device but if they exist, finding the right spots from New Hope to Yardley/Morrisville from land would be great if they are to be had.

Was it me not finding the right access points or is that the way the Delaware is best fished … via boat/floating?

I wade the D for smallies. It can be very treacherous wading in some areas, and it's been running a little high all summer too. I like to use the greased line method with the flies close to the bottom. After the swing, let the fly hang for a little while and slowly strip it back. Some areas are tougher to fly fish than others due to the lack of room for a backcast and the casting distance required. So for those places I go to the dark side and swing jigs with a spinning rod.

Read the water just as you would a trout stream and work all of the likely holding spots you can find and reach. The river has been fishing pretty well IMO, and should continue to for the next month.

Local guides here are using Spey rods for the brandywine to cover the water with little casting room.

Yeah, a spey would be great and will eventually be in my arsenal. That would really be awesome for swinging flies to shad too.

Stagger, try just South of the Scudders Falls Septa bridge. You can park at the park there and walk down. Go down about 300-400 yards and there is a pool there I see people fishing almost everyday. Gotta be a reason its so popular.

Were you at Tyler? Did you get a water temp for the Neshaminy? I was there a few weeks ago and it was 68 were sort of surprised me, didn't expect it to stay that cool.

phiend .. I try that next time and maybe u'll join. Fished the Nesh up near Warrington ystrday. I was in tyler last week w/ a few families and took my rod for the kids .. off the area where you can rent canoes. Water was clear (for the Nesh) and the kids got a kick out of throwing a dry and watching the fish approach and 'snap' ...

Stagger,

True above. The Delaware River has been on the high side for wading nearly all summer. The fish are there, but spread out, and wading can be difficult, if not dangerous at current levels.

I suggest you try the smaller streams for bass if you are wading. Lakes are fun too.

Joining you would be great, except right now I don't have a car. I hope the insurance company replaces it quickly.

I've fished the D a bunch of times this year and here's my observations. Above the Lehigh is fishing worlds better than below the Lehigh. Floating is the best way to cover lots of water. If you want to float about the Lehigh, I'll be out the next 2 Sundays and I am looking for someone to float with. Cheers!

@afish ... u r spot on. If I every try to wade there again I'm wearing a life preserver lol.

Not sure if I will hit it up again this year with Fall in the air and I'm gonna try to chase more trout but would love to try it again next year with someone who knows the area. Seems like a quality river so close to me and the opportunity to fish it, once I learn the how and where, would be great for me considering how close I live to it.

beerber ... isn't the Delaware above the Lehigh some of the top fishing in the region (I have read)?

phiend .. if I remember ur close to me. Ur in Joisy up 195, no?

If this weather pattern continues, as predicted, I should be able to reach some of my favorite spots by this weekend, early next week.

Be careful you don't get mauled by a snakehead.

Stag,

For fishing the D (or any other stream or river), learn to use the USGS site which gives current streamflow info along with temps with certain gauges.

The closest gauge on the D to where you are fishing is the Riegelsville gauge. Below is the gauge comparing the summer of 2012 to 2013.

For wading, 3.0' - 3.5' at the Riegelsville gauge is ideal. As you can see above, the River has been running fairly high all summer when compared to last summer.

Check out the USGS site to decide where to fish. HTH.

Attachments

• D at Riegelsville Summer 2012 & 2013.jpg
    D at Riegelsville Summer 2012 & 2013.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm not exactly sure where Stag lives, but I think the Trenton gauge might be closer to him.

For fishing near Yardley use the Washington's Crossing gauge or Trenton. Trenton also displays discharge, but I don't pay much attention to that. A height of 0.0 at WC is high, -1.0 or lower is a good level for wading anywhere down river from New Hope/Lambertville.

afishinado wrote:
Stag,

For fishing the D (or any other stream or river), learn to use the USGS site which gives current streamflow info along with temps with certain gauges.

The closest gauge on the D to where you are fishing is the Riegelsville gauge. Below is the gauge comparing the summer of 2012 to 2013.

For wading, 3.0' - 3.5' at the Riegelsville gauge is ideal. As you can see above, the River has been running fairly high all summer when compared to last summer.

Check out the USGS site to decide where to fish. HTH.
No the closest gauge is at Lambertville.
I'd fish further up river then between New Hope and Yardley, it's just dangerous down there.

Back