Delayed Harvest area of Kinzua Creek

D

dkc56pwd

Fished the delayed harvest area of Kinzua Creek on Friday, June 13th.
Only caught 2 rainbows, both on a pheasant tail nymph.
I noticed that the bottom of the stream appears red which is new from 3 years ago. Also seems to be silt on the bottom. Very little insect life noted when turning over rocks. Any ideas on what's going on?

I don't know any specifics.

But go to Acmemapper.com.

Type in "Westline PA" in the search window.

Then click on "Satellite" view.

And take a look at the landscape around there.

Silt is definitely the result of the energy extraction industry that has descended on that area en masse over the past 15 years. It pre-dated the Marcellus boom.

Kinzua and its tribs have really gone downhill as a result, although if you talk to certain government officials, they will tell you the silt is "because of the steep terrain". Nevermind the dozens or hundreds of miles of new roads that cover the hillsides and the sediment dams that are filled to overflowing with sediment. Yes, the sediment ends up in the streams because of gravity but the streams ran clear and mostly sediment free with the steep terrain, prior to the explosion of the roads and small extraction sites.

I didn't notice any sort of red stain on the bottom when I was there Opening Day weekend, but the stream was all but overflowing its banks too, so it wouldn't have been too discernible.

Wow! It looks like Corbutt took a fillet knife to the Allegheny National Forest. :roll:

The Kinzua DH area in near the center of the map.

ANF

Wondered when politics would enter the discussion. More than likely it's George Bush's fault.

As I noted, this development was well under way pre-Marcellus boom, so it pre-dates Corbett taking office. The energy industry is happy to advance their cause, regardless if a D or R is in office. These are mostly shallow oil and gas wells.

The first time I was reviewing satellite photos of the area, I thought that I was seeing some weird satellite photography ghosting or artifacts from the stitching process. Then, I thought I was looking at satellite photos of the moon. Now I'm just grateful to still catch fish.

Forgive my naivety but if that is nationally owned land would PA politicians, legislative or otherwise, have any say in how it is used?

I honestly don't know how that area is managed but I do love to camp there.

Well, thanks to the checkerboard nature of the ownership of mineral rights to lands within the ANF, degradation of cold water streams from extractive industries like oil/gas and timber have been a chronic problem for as long as I can remember (which is getting to be a frighteningly long time...). The good news, if there is any, is that in most cases the damage is transitory and not lethal and the streams can and do recover. Until the next time somebody comes in and starts throwing dirt around, that is.. Then it starts all over. Most of these watersheds have been through it many times. All this is true at any rate of the older style surface gas wells. I can't speak to the impacts of the Marcellus wells.

But here's the thing about the main stem of Kinzua Creek in specific. It has always been one of the more troubled and degraded streams in the ANF. In addition to the episodic insults from energy extraction common to the entire region, most of the first order tribs are or have been pretty acidic, even by ANF standards. On top of that, the upper third of the stream. roughly from a couple of miles above the US 219 bridge up to the PA 59 bridge was all screwed up for many, many years by a number of wood alcohol manufacturing sites (all long gone now) that basically coated the stream bottom with a layer of an asphalt-like residue. I guess this problem was slowly beginning to naturally (via floods and scour) resolve itself as of a decade ago and I don't know how it stands now. But I guess the overarching point of all this gas I’m passing here is that the main stem of Kinzua Creek has had it pretty rough (even by ANF standards) for a long time and in some ways, it is a wonder there are any fish there at all.

afishinado wrote:
Wow! It looks like Corbutt took a fillet knife to the Allegheny National Forest. :roll:

The Kinzua DH area in near the center of the map.

ANF
It's Federal Land so I'm not sure Coresbutt would have anything to do with the oil and gas development. On the other hand does anyone really know?

It may be Federal land, but they do not own the mineral rights to most of the ANF. This is probably an outgrowth of the fact that the region was still a significant producer of crude oil at the time that the ANF was created. So, there was probably a lot of pressure for this rights of use bifurcation as it exists.

Additionally, the timber, oil and gas reserves of the ANF have always been a major source of tax revenue and to a lesser extent, jobs, for the communities of the region. A lot of these towns take this very seriously. You could see just how serious if you ever attend the USFS's public meetings when they are putting together the next 5 or 10 year plan for the ANF. Local pressure is huge...

Its a push me-pull you mess and always has been..

Back