Delaware Water Gap

T

Troy

Hi All,
I plan on floating from Dingman's Ferry to Bushkill on Saturday. I have a question. The area is supposed to get about a half inch of rain tonight from this cold front coming through. The river is at a nice level right now. How does the river hold up after rain? I had to cancel a couple trips up there over the years because it was blown out and it would really bum me out if that is the case this year. Thanks for any info.

Troy

Troy wrote:
Hi All,
I plan on floating from Dingman's Ferry to Bushkill on Saturday. I have a question. The area is supposed to get about a half inch of rain tonight from this cold front coming through. The river is at a nice level right now. How does the river hold up after rain? I had to cancel a couple trips up there over the years because it was blown out and it would really bum me out if that is the case this year. Thanks for any info.

Troy

Troy,

Nice section of river for a float. The D doesn't usually go off-color very easily, and 1/2" of rain is really no big deal. The level, clarity and temps are all good-to-go for smallies right now. Have a great trip and post a report.

afishinado,
Thanks! It is a great float. We do it every year. We couldn't do it last year because it was blown out the date we had planned. We did do it one year when it was blown out and it wasn't fun. It was chocolate milk. Needless to say, we didn't fair so well and it only took us about 3 hours to float 10 miles. There was no anchoring and no pulling off to the bank. It sucked.

We always camp along the river in those primitive sites. One year we saw a bear swim across the river. Every year we see the Bald Eagles. It is a nice place. It would be even nicer if Route 209 wasn't there, but at least you can't see it most of the time. Oh, the smallie fishing is good too :-D

A half inch when we have been dry for a while will not change the water much at all. Conditions will be good. Last time I was out the smallies were in their usual June funk, let's hope they come out of that soon.

Thanks Beeber! I hope this warm weather gets them going.

Not much to report. We caught more Walleye than Smallies. We saw a bunch of Shad, dead and alive. In a couple weeks, it should be good. It was still fun on the river.

Back