Delaware River Stripers

RoyalFooseman

RoyalFooseman

I can't seem to find any info on when they usually run up the river. I'm assuming that the warm weather we've been having may allow it to happen a little earlier this year. Anyone know when they usually start, or a website that might have some info? Thanks for the help in advance.

If you fish the Lambertville area I know for sure there are resident stripers that occupy the Delaware year round. I usually start fishing for them around April. You can see them chasing schools of baitfish when they are running. Go check it out and you will be ahead of the game. Not many folks flyfish for stripers in that area.

When I lived in philly, I had a few discussions with Mike from the pafbc about this subject a few times in the spring. If he finds a few moments, he may be able to help you out. While I never got to put it to use as often as I would have wished, it was good info.

before i flyfished a striper chased a little herring out of the water and onto my feet. that was at bulls island, near lambertville, in the springish time. that was pretty cool. ive never actually had the chance to fish for them, its something i look forward to attempting this year.

A friend of mine says he gets them right below the falls at the Art Museum. Not with fly though.

Yeah, there isn't much backcast room there. I used to live a block or three away and tried a few times.

It's spinfishing country.

The fish do hold very close to the bank in spots, but I'm going to stay mum about what others have shared with me. They are there, and despite my failures, they are definitely within reach of shore anglers.

This is the website I use for striper info, although I troll in the Maryland section. Good info on best times, places and baits/lures, etc.
http://www.stripers247.com/Delaware-River-Stripers.php

By the way, they are a blast on flies. Try a Clouser Minnow.

dont waste your time fly fishing for them until late may or june. the best way to catch them is bait. once we are in the summer months you can switch to flies. around the fairmount falls can be a dangerous place. the rocks are like a jetty and some shady people hang there. i say Lambertville is a good spot to try. if you want something that will take a fly and fight harder then a trout go for shad. there tons of them and they are easy to catch.

i usually have more luck in the schuylkill than in the deleware.

i live walking distanc,and just look over a bridge till i see them chase bait.

i find a clauser the best bet.i have been working for years on a streamer that i could dead drift though the bait school and jerk.not much luck so far.better off stripping in a clouser .

1st and formost, the warm winter is not that big of a factor, water temps and more important light is.
stripers can be taken from trenton to bull's island from april right on through the early summer. I spent years on the river fishing and guiding. big rods and heavy lines in early spring 10 wt and bigger. you want to get down where the stipers are chasing small shad and herring. best flies are large herring imatations. flies average 8 - 12" in length.

Attachments

• flies 019_thumb.jpg
    flies 019_thumb.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 7-16-2011 0000.jpg
    7-16-2011 0000.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 7-23-2011 001.jpg
    7-23-2011 001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 845_tying_2008_070.jpg
    845_tying_2008_070.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
Hope Mike will check in, but I searched and found this striper post by Mike (it may save him some typing):

Mike wrote:
When: Sometimes as early as the last week in March, but more typically in April and May, concentrating on periods of steady or rising water temps. An especially good water temp range is 60 F - 68F, but the fish will certainly hit in cooler water than that. The problem is that they are not real common in near shore areas (for shore fly or lure anglers) until the temp hits around 60 F. The exceptions to this are in the few hundred yards below Fairmount Dam on the Schuylkill in Phila and at Trenton Falls, which is the tidal set of rapids between Morrisville, Pa and Trenton, NJ. At those two locations you can pretty much just go by the time of year and not necessarily the 60 F rule. That may also be true at some NJ creek mouths, but generally 60F is a good rule of thumb for near-shore areas. Good numbers are often present in the Schuylkill in April and May.

Where/when: Aside from what I mentioned above, once 60 F is hit and temps are steady or rising, fish near shore areas during the three hours before and three hours after high tide. Fish will typically be in 4-10 feet of water, but may be as shallow as 2 ft. So, if you wade out, they may be in front of you and behind you. Good spots on the Delaware Estuary are along sandy beaches with good current, creek mouths, island shorelines that face the main river channel, concrete rip-rapped areas, again paralleled by good current speed, sand bars, discharges from large wetlands, and, if you can stand it, sewage treatment plant discharges. Stay out of coves, other than at the points where the coves meet the main river. The greatest amount of shore access to good habitat in the Pa. portion of the Delaware Estuary is on the NJ side, if you can gain access. One good spot is the nature center at the end of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge where there is good habitat for about a mile below the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. That good habitat continues upstream to about a mile below Dredge Harbor, by-passing the walled stretch at Cinnaminson, NJ, but I am not aware of the legal access situation other than at the nature center. I see people shore fishing the stretch between TP bridge and Dredge Harbor at places, but I don't know the status of the lands they crossed to get to those places. Another potentially good spot is the shoreline along and upstream from National Park, NJ, where there is a public boat ramp. The fish sometimes show up on that sandy beach in big numbers.

On the Pa side, shore spots with good concentrations of fish are limited. One popular one is on the stone wall across the street and behind the UPS terminal, which is on the back side of the Phila Airport.

If you want stripers on the fly you need to fish the flats in MD. Have caught numerous stripers 5 to 45 pounds there over the years. As for the upper DE we were fishing the junction pool once and say a 35+ pound striper taking trout. It was awesome.

suckabanna flats in spring same time as the delaware. Its cool when they are cruising the flats. I found a flat in the river near scudders falls (rt. 95) where 30 lbers would lay in 2 ft. of water to feed. just drift a all white deceiver in there and wham fish on..

Sassafras River, just south and east of the flats is a good spot for bruisers as well. We got skunked there this past fall but a few buddies of mine hammer them in the spring and summer. I can't wait for spring and summer!

Oh yeah the sassafras, stripers, blues, pickeral, and bass all in one area. turkey point for stripers too. have caught them in the C & D canal too. choptank, bay bridge too.

Don't forget the Bohemia, we caught schoolies right at Hack's Point.

Bumping this up...want to try this too and looking for info.

Re: Delaware Estuary stripers (tidal portions of Delaware R and tribs)

First, thanks to Afish for digging up my comments from last year. They were fairly detailed and I don't have much to add to them, as they are still applicable. The impact of the warmer winter on the timing of the first appearance of the stripers in numbers worth fishing over is an interesting one (Read that as follows: it keeps me guessing too). Two years ago the water warmed earlier than normal and the stripers began spawning in greater numbers than usual in the Delaware (Commonwealth of), but the spawning activity did not start more than a week earlier in Pa than it normally would have. Using that for guidance, I suspect that if the warmer weather persists, anglers using bait may be catching stripers in Pa in the last week of March or possibly the week prior. Bait fishing should continue to build and be good through April. The peak of the run, however, always occurs in May and, with the exception of Trenton Falls and the Schuylkill R below Fairmount Dam, it is possibly the only time that numerous stripers are close enough to shore to make wading or shoreline fishing with lures or flies profitable. If you have a boat, you may be able to get on the fish earlier, but for the most part they will be 15-35 ft deep, giving the advantage to boaters and individuals with surf rods and a few oz of lead. ( Boaters: Be careful. This is not your local lake; it is big water with big waves in windy conditions and most anytime a tug or ship is on the move, but especially when they are running against the tide).

That having been said, a few large females (the largest fish of the year) are often found cruising some NJ shallows (3-8 ft of water) before the males show up and before large numbers of stripers move onto the spawning grounds. I have seen this happen on shallow flats and more commonly where a tidal stream dumps warm water out of a near-by wetland or sewage treatment plant onto and adjacent river flat. Finding these fish, at least in my experience, would be a low percentage game unless you have learned exactly where to go. But, it is probably not a lower percentage game than is muskellunge fishing, and these female stripers are usually 36-42 inches long and very heavy. Otherwise, fishing at that time should for the most part be from a boat in deeper water until groups of fish start going into the shallows to spawn (generally 59-60 deg water temp as a guideline).

So what is a good day in the last three weeks of May? If you are landing 5-8 fish per hour between 18-32 inches (mostly 22-27 inches) you're having a real good day. Larger fish are around at that time and can typically run up to 42 inches long. Even larger ones are present, but rare. March and April seem to be the time that the really large fish are caught, and almost always with bait. Again, the Schuylkill and Trenton Falls do not follow this rule of thumb, and seem to produce larger fish throughout the run.

ALERT: If you fish the NJ side of the Delaware this year, you will be required to possess a FREE marine fishing permit and you must abide by NJ regs. If you fish the Pa side you must have a FREE Pa marine fishing permit. Both permits are readily available on-line from the respective states' fisheries web sites and may be printed out on the spot. I carry both in addition to my Pa license, which is good on both shorelines (see Pa Summary Booklet of Regulations). If you do not carry the NJ permit and are fishing in NJ the fine starts at $300 and goes up from there into the thousands. This also means that if you wish to keep a striper from the Pa slot limit, you can't have it in possession while over the NJ state line in a boat or on shore. The state line is roughly the center line of the river, but varies, particularly around islands. My recommendation: consult a USGS topographic map or perhaps the navigational charts that you can find on-line. All stripers caught on the NJ side of the line must be immediately released, as Pa's and NJ's regulations differ. Additionally, if you decide to use bait in NJ (perhaps out of frustration). you must use a non-offset circle hook when fishing the typical size striper hooks. Check the NJ regs for the hook size at which the circle hook reg takes effect.

This fishing in the tidal Delaware is pretty much over by Memorial Day weekend or certainly by June 1-3.

thanks Mike for all that information!! WOW!! Ive never had any luck by the UPS terminal. You pretty much have to hit that area at the high tide time since its just a big old mud flat at LOW!! Ive heard a lot of stories over the years about that area.

for Trenton and above its easier to get them on a fly. 8wt. to 12wt. 9' rods. sinking shooting heads and floating line. large deceivers and clousers in white/silver, white/chart. blue/white, olive/white will work during the spawn time (herring spawn). large gurglers "V" waked on top work well in low light conditions. Calhoun st. bridge, scudders falls, lambertville/new hope, center bridge, all are good places to find spring fish. leaders 2ft. to 12 foot long down to 20 lb. test. use a stiff material for leaders. Korkers and a shooting basket is a must have wading the river..

Back