Delaware River Smallies

CLSports

CLSports

Does anyone here fish the Delaware River from Easton down to say New Hope area? Just wondering how the smallmouth fishing has been in that area based on your experience? Do you wade or boat fish?

In my experience, which is mostly from Easton up through the Water Gap area, it has been producing well. I just do not hear may people post any comments on the lower river.

Hey CL, I floated the D on my home stretch 2 weeks ago. Easton to Riegelsville. I was in my pontoon boat. Fishing was very poor, I managed a meager 2 fish all afternoon, both on topwater. I have not done the water gap area but I plan to get there at least once before the end of the month. There's room for a second.

I had one late Aug trip way upstream with good results - good quantity, quality not so much. There was quite a bit of fishing pressure there too.

My expectation would be that the lower river would not be very good this year due to a string of below average and poor year classes.

I wade fished last Saturday evening in Columbia. I managed 1 10" smallie on a crayfish pattern. The D was lowest I ever fished it. I hit it with buggers, clousers, and marabou muddlers too without a touch. Not even panfish or small stripers, both of which I usually catch consistently in that area.

In an effort to find an alternative to the Susquehanna,I posted on several other forums about suggestions for wade fishing for SM bass the Delaware from New Hope 45 miles North.
Yesterday,I followed 2 of the suggested spots:Where the Big Bushkill enters the river and the Easton /Phillipsburg Area,
Wade fished 6 hours non stop!! ZERO fish.I threw everything I had at likely SM spots.
Looks like trout fishing Central PA and bow hunting for the rest of the year.

Glad it’s not just me. I’m new to fly fishing, and have been on the big D several times near Easton with no success. I’ve caught a few largemouth on my local farm pond so I haven’t been completely skunked during my first few outings. I will be back on the Delaware this weekend however and hope to land at least one smallie before the weather turns.

I always had decent fishing most of the time on the Delaware from Portland/Columbia down to Stocton. Most of the fish in the 8-12 inch range but some bigger. I think 'when' to seek them out is important. Always has better luck from August thru October. Sadly I have not fished it in many years (10?) and I hope it has not deteriorated. One of my favorite rivers from source to estuary.

See #3 above. I was serious based on the YOY data for the previous five yrs. Low catches would be the expectation.

Mike, are the YOY numbers down the last 5 years due to high water? During spawnig time?

Yes. Some years were way below average and others didn’t quite make it to the average as I recall. It has been a number of years since there was a big year class, not that a big year class is required, however. The SMB population does quite well when there has been a series of avg year classes, but making the avg has been a struggle in the most recent 5 yrs.

Def an interesting thread and points about the year classes. My own trips on the D in Bucks Co results in the same as what has been reported here.

One thing I've notice is more evidence of scouring of the river bed as a result of flood events. Lots of area’s devoid of river vegetation at least in the area’s I’ve fished (New Hope north)

Smike: Funny you should mention this. Similar things reported from lower Susky and similar poor fishing. Upper Delaware has good smallie fishing as does upper Susky. I doubt these are coincidental.

Fly-swatter,
Statistical analysis revealed that there was only a very weak relationship across the years between reproductive success of SMB in the lower Susquehanna and that in the lower (non-tidal) Delaware. Statisticians would probably say no relationship. While storm systems often cross both drainages, the Delaware's flows are highly managed, which explains the difference.

Mike: Understood. I know association does not mean causation. one of the things I like about this site is that I frequently learn. With that in mind...

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the flows of the Delaware managed for minimum flow only? With all the flooding over the last few years, and with no way to manage peak flow considering the number and size of feeder streams, the Delaware may have suffered from scouring and silt deposition in a similar way the Susky has.

I think scouring and deposition should be conflicting. How do you think these things affect the benthic layer, year classes, macros, etc.? It seems to nme in the short term the ecosystem takes a hit. But, the redistribution of fertility may be beneficial longer term (unless it's excessive).

I would like to hear your thoughts and knowledge on these.

No, there is also flood control via reservoirs on the tribs and, if it was implemented, enhanced flow for mussels.

I have never seen much in-stream scouring along the Delaware. The evidence of that is that the gravel bars with which I have been familiar have not appeared to grow very much over the years. On the other hand, the island and shoreline vegetation periodically gets pretty ripped up. As for sediment deposition, it is primarily sand and seems to primarily get deposited in back eddies.

I almost said that the main river bottom substrate is pretty stable because I was thinking about all of the cobble substrate throughout much of the river except around some split channels, but then I recalled the wide, shallow, gravelly areas from Point Pleasant to the head of tide.

I would not just focus on sediment deposition and scouring being problematic for nesting SMB, however. Higher spring flows from periodic storm events = falling water temps, which when they fall enough will cause SMB to abandon the nests. These events will also cause pH to fall, but I have never read any discussion of that regarding SMB fry survival as I have regarding Striped Bass fry survival in the Delaware Estuary.

I would add that the lower Susquehanna, which I covered along with the lower Delaware and Schuylkill, had much more of a sedimentation problem than the Delaware. There is really no comparison in that regard.

As for fertility, there is continuous loss of nutrients in a downstream direction in all systems, but those with anadromous fish species that perish in great part ( American shad in this case) post-spawn regain substantial amounts of nutrients from the ocean as they decompose. Tangential to this, yet interesting, is that in Alaska the vast majority of nutrients in many streams have decaying salmon as their source.

A good day below Easton is 10 fish. Of course it depends on how much time you put in. I fish mainly evenings 3-4 hrs primarily fly but have a spin as backup. Sometimes they only want creatures or top water.

A lot of this section has widened due to the high water in recent years. This make the river shallow. The banks hold a lot of stone from centuries past. The stone fills in the channels. Washed away trees are buried under stone. A lot of good spots have filled in and very few new spots have been created. So there are fewer places to hold fish in my opinion.

Two years ago there were a lot of 12 inch fish. I suspect they moved up or down. This and last year the level was constantly changing. I assume the fish moved around a lot. For that reason a consistent feeding pattern was difficult to find. When the level was finally was fairly consistent, the YOY shad came down so they had no reason to chase anything.

I fish the yardley to Easton area weekly and have for the last 25 or so years. 40 fish mornings were the norm but now 10 would be a good morning. we had some flooding at the worse times a few or so years ago followed by drought like conditions by June. I can't imagine the early start to the low water season for years in conjunction with poorly timed floods has not had a compounding effect on the bass.

Last year we had higher then normal flows but no major flooding. This year the water levels were great throughout summer. I expect the fishing to improve over the next couple years. Good news is I had one of my best stripers fishing springs in a long time and the shad fishing has been impressive for a few years now. I have no idea what the numbers say but this year my shad and striper catching went up while my SMB catching went down.

In #15 above, paragraph 3, this fall’s SMB population evaluation followed the substrate description. The electrofishing catch was perhaps the best or one of the best since the 1980’s at the site representing the river above Point Pleasant to Easton. It was not very good below there at either of two sites.

Back